1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need a "Click to Activate" Workaround

Hello, I am trying to embed a simple flash file into my website, but I am having trouble finding a workaround for the "Click to Activate" problem. I need the flash file to display automatically, without the user having to activate flash. I hand code everything, and I am inexperienced using any web development programs. Every supposed "workaround" I've looked up has been either (A) superfluously laborious, (B) completely ineffective, or both. The simpler the solution you can offer, the better. If you can make this fix swift and painless, please do. I just want results.

The website is protolime.com. And the coding I'm using is this:

Code:
    <html>

<body bgcolor="0d0d0d" bgproperties="center" style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;padding-top:0;padding-bottom:0;">

<title>Proto Lime Photography</title>

<style type="text/css">

body {background-position:center;}

a:link { color: 959595; text-decoration: none;}
    a:hover { color: red; }
    </style>

<table width="100%" height="100%" valign="center" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <td width="100%" height="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<table width="666" valign="center" bgcolor="0d0d0d" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <td width="100%" height="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<center>

<table width="684" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <td width="684" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

<object width="684" height="462">
    <param name="Photography" value="page.swf">
    <embed src="page.swf" width="684" height="462" menu="false"><br>
    </embed>
    </param>
    </object>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="fixit.js"></script>
    </td>
    </table>

</center>

</td>
    </table>

</td>
    </table>

</body>

</html>
    Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture

I am using Firefox, by the way, and I'd like this fix to work in Firefox, Chrome and IE. I understand that IE has some particular complications in this regard (if what I've read is true), but I'd like to see my options anyway.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The entire point of "click to activate" is so websites can't display flash files automatically. Any workarounds that allow you to do that are classified as bugs and patched out.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture

Hmm. This troubles me. What's the point of using flash in a website if it has to constantly be activated by users? They should have developed a more convenient safeguard system, wherein you might have to "click to activate" only when a less secure type flash command is triggered. As it stands they just look like image errors. Very unappealing, as if they want to kill flash use off entirely.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's the browser developers who add in click to activate, not Adobe. The two reasons for it are to block annoying advertisements and security. The security concern isn't quite as simple as blocking less secure flash commands, the security concern is bugs in flash that allow an attacker to run code they shouldn't be able to run.

However, Adobe does actually seem to be going in the direction of killing off flash anyway. The nearly complete lack of support for flash on mobile platforms signaled the beginning of the end for it.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo