1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Flash blocked by firewall

What have I done wrong when a Firewall blockes a Flash with the Ad-Blocker?
  3. No Profile Picture
    flash junkie

can you describe the problem/situation a little more in depth?
  5. No Profile Picture

A customer of mine has a Symantec firewall installed on his computer and has set some sort of an advertisement blocking option.
    I put up a wedsite with two very basic Flash compomnents. An intro that only has some moving text. This one displays fine. The other is a graphic with some URL links. This one gets blocked by the firewall.

The embed statements are identical. The Flash components are built with Flash MX and exported to Version 4.

I have no clue what the reason for this could be.
  7. No Profile Picture
    flash junkie

so is the second movie popped up or in an iframe or separate layer or anything? or just something that gets loaded into the .swf?
  9. No Profile Picture

No. Just normally embedded into HTML. The hyper links call a JavaScrip routine that opens a popup. I use target window name, window size and tha target html page as parameters.
  11. No Profile Picture
    flash junkie

there are a lot of pop up blockers on the market right now, and antivirus programs are utilising these too. My guess would be that because the pop up was not clicked on (in an HTML document) the ad blocker software is seeing the pop-up as an unwanted window... it's not a Flash thing, it's an anti-pop-up thing... (try running the flash/html with the ad-blocker turned off) try popping up just a regular HTML window with no flash in it. if it works with the software off (which, if all of your coding is correct, it will) then you know what the problem is...

because flash's hyperlinks don't show up on the page as "clickable links" to the ad software, it will always see the pop-up as a nuissance and kill it, regardless of what's in the window...

no real way around it, since the user controls their own system...

bret

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo