1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Flash Com Components

Is it possible to use the flash communication components with web-based chat. It would seem that it only works well easily with client-server chat.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Uhh... web-based chat?

I'm going to assume you mean, "Can I use Flash Communication Components in a SWF that will be accessed through a browser?"...

If that is the question, then - yup. You can.

You might run into Firewall issues, since Flash Comm runs on a different port...

If you don't mean that, and you mean something like - can I get one SWF on my computer to talk directly to another SWF on another computer... then - nope. Sorry.

The closest you could come to SWF-SWF communication would be to use the Local Connection Object, and that only works if you stay on the same computer. < (SWF-SWF) on the same computer />
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No this is what I'm trying to do. I wanted to created a chat room using php and a mysql database. I wanted the client to be in flash. When I do my chat in pure php, I have a file for the messages, another for the userlist, another for the message input box, and one for private messages. I am not running a Flash Com server, and if I use the chat FLash Com Component, the input box and the message screen are part of the same component. But I just downloaded a Flash version of a chat I found on the net, and I am using that now on my site. I'll have to compare that chat room to the flash com components and see the similarities.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well whatever... let us know if you have any other questions.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

flash and firewall

Has anyone had a problem with viewing flash swf files through a corporate firewall? It seems that I have no problem on a dial up connection, but sometimes the page will produce a flash movie error when loading behind the firewall.

thanks
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What is the error? Do you have a screenshot?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo