1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help embedding a swf

Hi

I've been playing with Wondershare Democreator for a few days now and it's been working very well. But today for the first time I tried putting a demo on a website.

randomtweaks.com/wp-content/temp/mse/web/33/33.html is an example of the problem I'm having.

The above example works immediately in all browsers except IE. When I load that page for the first time in IE the play icon in the centre won't work and the play button at the bottom is greyed out. If I refresh the page things work find and work form then on, but if I clear my cookies and cache the same thing happens again.

Obviously it's an unacceptable situation to be telling the viewer to refresh if using IE. It has to work first time.

The embed page used is the one created by the software. I've contacted the creators but who knows when they'll get back to me.

thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi, it works fine for me in IE9. I had a look at the HTML and JS used for that page and it seems a bit dated. I'm not sure why you need the fscommand code at all for a web based app. Also, by only using a JS method of embedding the SWF code it means anyone with JavaScript disabled would not be able to see your content. When I view the JS file that comes with it "swf.js" I noticed that the first line seems incorrect. It has "VIEWASTEXT" at the end which would break the object tag.

Try using swfobject instead. You can just modify one of the example HTML files in their zip to match your current layout.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Tann San
    Hi, it works fine for me in IE9. I had a look at the HTML and JS used for that page and it seems a bit dated. I'm not sure why you need the fscommand code at all for a web based app. Also, by only using a JS method of embedding the SWF code it means anyone with JavaScript disabled would not be able to see your content. When I view the JS file that comes with it "swf.js" I noticed that the first line seems incorrect. It has "VIEWASTEXT" at the end which would break the object tag.

Hi

Thanks for the reply

I tried the swfoject method but I have the exact same problem - When loaded up clean in IE neither the centre play button nor the play in the bar will work. clicking the seek bar starts it off, and after that it works fine but on first load it just sits there.

Wonder if anyone else can see the problem I see? I've tried it in IE6 in XP Mode which is almost completely fresh with no modifications I have the same exact problem so it's hard to see how it could be something specific to my system.
  7. No Profile Picture

oh, you know what? When I tried it before and it loaded up the video I thought that meant it worked. Now I see what you mean though, the play button in the bottom left and the big one over the video are non responsive.

Can I see the swfobject version? If the HTML and JS is totally different then it would indicate it was actually a Flash problem in which case you would need to explain the inner workings in more detail.
  9. No Profile Picture

I think this is the correct one (I've tried so many permutations this could easily be one I've tweaked stupidly. Didn't bother sizing it correctly)

randomtweaks.com/wp-content/temp/swfo/

Once again, works 100% fine on 2nd or 3rd try, but from clean cache it's just stuck.

I've found that when I run un-embedded it works fine
    randomtweaks.com/wp-content/temp/swfo/test.swf

Also works fine when run from my local computer on XAMPP. Got me wondering if it's something to do with the way I'm transferring it or with my host (Godaddy) which I didn't think was possible.
  11. No Profile Picture

Just got the following response to my support ticket

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

The program isn't compatible with IE browser very well. Our programmers are working on it and will try to fix it in our next upgrade. We'll provide your free upgrade.

As for a temporary solution, what do you think of adding a note at the top of your website to remind your customer? I'm sorry we can't provide you a good solution at this moment, but we'll try to fix it as quickly as possble.

Your support and understanding is highly appreciated.

Best regards
    I'm completely amazed by that response.
    Not a bit of Beta freeware here. Supposedly version 3.5 and I've spent literally hours and hours on a demo that doesn't work on the most used browser in the world.
  13. No Profile Picture

That swfobject version you posted works for me in IE9 and IE6. Cache is definitely cleared on my IE9 machine and I've never tried loading your site before on the IE6 system until just now.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Tann San
    That swfobject version you posted works for me in IE9 and IE6. Cache is definitely cleared on my IE9 machine and I've never tried loading your site before on the IE6 system until just now.
    really?
    unembedded randomtweaks.com/wp-content/temp/swfo/test.swf works find for me as always, but the embedded one still just sticks. after I've deleted cache.
  17. No Profile Picture

With even more testing I'm pretty sure it's a problem within the Flash file. I just spent about 10 minutes playing around with it in both IE9 and IE6. I thought I'd sussed out a pattern but it didn't hold up. The problem seems to happen randomly, sometimes it works first time sometimes one button will work and not the other and sometimes neither button will work.

My guess is that they have done something crappy with regards to the event listeners used for detecting when the video content has finished loading. One of the events is probably not acting as it should and the code that activates the buttons is within that event.

Alternatively or possible as well as the above, they could also be doing some "trying to use something before it is fully loaded" type stuff. Such as trying to assign functionality to the buttons before the buttons have fully loaded or assigning an event listener to the video loader after the video has loaded so the event never gets fired.

With both scenarios there is not really much you can do about it without access to the full source code.

Both buttons work in Chrome, Opera 11.01 and Firefox 4.01 but that is probably just due to the Flash plugin working a bit differently in those browsers than it does with IE. It could still happen with those browsers, it just might be a lot less frequent.

There are plenty of free Flash video players out there, try one of those instead unless this one has some special functionality you can't do without. In that case bug the hell out of the devs or demand your money back.
  19. No Profile Picture

Hi

Thanks for all your efforts. I'm still trying to figure out why it's working for me in XAMPP and localhost which I'm assuming my browser treats no differently that a website - but still can't figure out. Will probably just have to give up on it.

Actually when it comes to alternative programs I haven't been able to find many at all. While there are endless screen capture programs, I can't find many that you can make interactive - waiting for the user to cilck a button on the screen to continue or have it when you click a certain part of the screen it jumps to a certain frame.

The only ones I'm aware of are -
    Wink Free but very basic
    Democreator Which is the one above I'm having a problem with
    Demo Builder looks great but $200 - and that price goes up in a few days

After that the price seems to skyrocket
  21. No Profile Picture

The reason I said it could be a case of them trying to use something before it has loaded is because of the speed that the interface and video is loaded. Running it on localhost means you are getting things loaded a lot quicker than if they are from a remote server. Even little things like different server configurations or browser plugin differences can affect it. That's one good reason to use event listeners that get triggered when certain events happen. Take this scenario:
    • Create video loader.
    • Create an event to listen for when the external video has finished loading.
    • Start loading the external video.
    • When it finishes the event from earlier is fired.
    • At that point we can make something else happen since we know the video has finished loading.

Using the above it fine because the COMPLETE event is associated before the video is loaded so it doesn't matter if the video loads in a nanosecond, a millisecond, a second or a minute etc. The event is already in place and waiting. Now take this other scenario which could well be happening for you:
    • Create video loader.
    • Start loading the external video.
    • When it finishes the event from earlier is fired.
    • Create an event to listen for when the external video has finished loading.

In that scenario the event is added after the load command is called. Code wise it might only be a few lines after it but timewise, the video could of already finished loading by that time, meaning the event is never fired because it wasn't called in time. Instead of a COMPLETE event it could also be to do with cue points. If they are using cuepoints to stop the video at certain points then maybe they have one at the start of the video as well. That could be getting skipped for some reason.

It might have nothing to do with that or anything I've said, I'm really just guessing as there is not enough information to go on. It sounds clear that the developers acknowledge that there is a problem with their application.

I don't have any software alternatives to recommend as I'm a developer so I just make things for myself. The only client I know that does things like this project use Adobe Captivate but that is quite a bit more expensive.

If you can't find a nice alternative then you might as well go with their suggestion for now about sticking a short notice near the video. Then bully them into addressing the issue. When they release a fixed version then you can remove the notice and update your video player. If you keep nagging them then that may happen before you finish your project and it goes live.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo