1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help Exporting flash to exe, with *.as files

Hey everyone. I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem. I need to export a flash document to a standalone exe file - which is not hard, but i also need to be able to include external *.as files as part of the exe.

Right now i can export to an exe, but in order for it to work, i need to also have the *.as files in the same directory. I"m hoping to somehow include the *.as files in the same standalone exe - one file, full project

Any Suggestions?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Heya, the .as file will already get compiled into the .exe, you dont have to do anything extra beyond making sure its included in your project in the first place when you compile it. Try it out. Once you've created the .exe file you should be able to move that somewhere else altogether (without the .as file) and it will still run.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for Responding...

I have tried it, but it seems that when i move the exe file out of its original folder (or to another pc) it will not function properly without the associated *.as files - i also tried compiling the 3 *.as files into one xml file, but that doesn't seem to work either... Maybe i'm just doing it wrong?

Any other Suggestions?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

im confused, how where you planning on compiling three actionscript files into a single XML file? what is in the three files? I kinda assumed it was actionscript classes or include files i.e. functions and variables etc. Not just raw text such as you'd output to a textbox.

hmmmm... what your describing would make sense if that was how you where using them. If your storing the text data in the .as files that you wish to load dynamically then you will have to move them with the .exe

.as files aren't supposed to be used for that purpose though. like i said their supposed to be used to hold actionscript classes or as #include files. If you want to store structured data in a format that can be easily updated and then loaded via an external file then you should look into using XML. If you didnt care about using structured data and you just want some vars i.e:

var1=10&bob=tiny&varx=99

then you can just use plain text files which I'm guessing is what your doing now although they have a .as extension.

Right so back onto your original post. If you want to ditch the external file thing altogether then you have to copy the variables into where ever you are currently loading the external file. What are you using to do that? Can you post that code snippet? ooo and how about a snippet of whats in one of the .as files? it'll help me help you :)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  9. No Profile Picture

In order to to export a flash document to a standalone exe file you can use an application like flaector.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo