1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mysql integration

So me and my friend are trying to build this website application. And we are trying to include some functions that require an online database. Now because Mysql is the most common one i figured we should be using it. but i have no clue on how to fetch information with flash cs5. so anyone any suggestions? should we use something different than Mysql or is there a possibility to use Mysql?

Greetings
  3. Plays with fire
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Flash can't communicate directly with MySQL or anything else on the server for that matter. You will need a server language like PHP to transfer data back and forth.

What I've done is use Flash's ExternalInterface to call Javascipt functions that sending things to PHP which communicates with the database. That sounds like a mess, but it's not hard to set up and gives the user a seamless experience.

You could skip the JS calls and just use PHP as well. Search the web for PHP AS3 and you'll find all kinds of help.
    “Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.” -- Horace Mann

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo