1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Non-profit Soup Kitchen Needs Help

PROBLEM SOLVED

Hello,

I am trying to build a website to promote a non-profit soup kitchen I started to cook for the homeless & hungry. There are no error messages in flash and it looks fine in the alt+enter Flash CS5 screen.

However, go to www*morganskitchen*org, look at the "legal docs" page.
    The problem: There is erratic behavior in mac browsers. In (mac)Google Chrome or Safari, the background flickers with random artifacts when movie clip above transitions.

Explanation of site organization:
    2 layers:
    Content Layer - contains the text, images etc for each page
    Base Layer - contains header & buttons

BASE LAYER Actionscripts:
    import flash.events.MouseEvent;

stop();

//NAVIGATION BUTTONS:
    home_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,function(e:MouseEvent){gotoAndStop(1);});
    aboutus_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,function(e:MouseEvent){gotoAndStop(2);});
    benefits_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,function(e:MouseEvent){gotoAndStop(3);});
    strategy_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,function(e:MouseEvent){gotoAndStop(4);});
    morgan_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,function(e:MouseEvent){gotoAndStop(5);});
    legal_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,function(e:MouseEvent){gotoAndStop(6);});
    map_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, fl_ClickToGoToWebPage);function fl_ClickToGoToWebPage(event:MouseEvent):void{navigateToURL(new URLRequest("URL address blocked:forum rules"), "_blank");};

CONTENT LAYER, SLIDE 6 (Legal Docs page) Actionscripts:

stop();

//Document Button Links
    bylaws_button.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,function(e:MouseEvent){navigateToURL(new URLRequest("bylawsMK.pdf"), "_blank");});
    articles_button.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,function(e:MouseEvent){navigateToURL(new URLRequest("ArticlesMK.pdf"), "_blank");});

Things I've Noticed:
    1- Didn't have problems till I introduced bylaws_button & articles_button.
    2- Zero compiler or output errors.

Things I've Tried (that didn't help):
    1- Moving actionscript for the bylaws_button & articles_button to the base layer
    2- Using more 'fancy' actionscript that included like f2_ClickToGoToWebPage and f3_ClickToGoToWebPage for the bylaws_button and articles_button.
    3- Adding a teal square shape to the slide for a slide-specific background

I would really appreciate any help with this. I'm trying to do something good for my community. I have no funding or support, but would still like things to look well.

Thank you,
    Morgan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi, I would of posted sooner but I've been away since early Thursday morning (^_^)

It all looks ok, the link you posted doesn't work though. I think I need to see it to understand the problem, please post a working link or a link to the .fla and I'll have a look. You can PM that to me if you don't want it being public.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  5. No Profile Picture

Trouble in MAC browsers (fine in windows)??

I don't mind it being public, the more help the better.

www*morganskitchen*org = the website, which is just an FLA file in dreamweaver with center options. (periods replaced with * in link b/c i can't post links by forum rules yet)

If that's not the link you were referring to, plz elaborate. I'm trying to help you help me
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi, it loads ok for me now. So much so, I don't even see any other pages when I view the legal docs link. Maybe something you did since last posting fixed it.
  9. No Profile Picture

Sorry I didn't discover this until now. Apparently it is a browser issue?? I edited the first post accordingly.

It looks fine in Google Chrome, but is having the problem i described on any Mac browsers. Any ideas?
  11. No Profile Picture

I changed the height from 950 pixels to 1000 to accomodate a "contact us" line and the problem randomly went away. Not sure what I did to fix it ?
  13. No Profile Picture

Glad it's working either way (^_^)v

I feel I should point out that Flash may not be the best option for your site. It will not be visible on an iPad for one thing as they do not support Flash files. A better way is to make as much of your site non-Flash and then just use Flash for the special touches or main content elements. That way, without Flash users can still see most of your content.

There's not very much going on with your site that it would actually require the whole thing to be in Flash. There are a number of content management systems out there that you can use to add/remove/edit content with. I highly recommend CMS Made Simple. If you visit that page and scroll to the bottom there is a link to an online demo in the footer. That then has links to the demo backend admin system and the front end that users will see. The end result is that your site will then be available to a wider pool of users. You'll need to (1) make sure your server can run the CMS system i.e. it is up to hardware/software requirements (2) install it and get a theme created (3) put in your content.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo