1. Plays with fire
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Anyone using bones?

So my last go at a 2D-style animation was a stupid amount of work...mostly trying to get audio to sync with video and then export to QuirkTime.

This time I'm hoping for something a little easier so I thought I'd give bones a try. Yeah, they're easy to set up and animate, but, wow, they destroy the drawings I'm trying to move.

Look at the attached image to see what I mean. The first frame is the guy I've drawn. The second is the rig -- just two bones to give a little head tilt. The last is the rigged head tilted just a little. Notice how the outline of the head is distorted and part of the goatee is missing.

Does this actually work or should I give up and stay home?

Edit: never mind about the image. I wasn't using symbols. That's much better.
    Last edited by Frank Grimes; July 30th, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
    “Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.” -- Horace Mann

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence
  3. /*

I use bones and made a tutorial a while back. I found that the key is to use non visible symbols as anchor points.
    */
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

no i don't use BONES.. what is the main advantage of using BONES?
  7. Plays with fire

Originally Posted by benno32
    I use bones and made a tutorial a while back. I found that the key is to use non visible symbols as anchor points.
    hey, that's a great idea! Thanks!
    “Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.” -- Horace Mann

9. Plays with fire

Originally Posted by dhussey111
    no i don't use BONES.. what is the main advantage of using BONES?
    Bones can be a lot easier to animate than several small objects. In my case I have to fully-articulated human characters that needed life. I split them into pieces and layers and keyframed them. What a headache. With bones, I can put their entire bodies into one symbol them deform that as I wish. Much easier.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo