Voters
26 You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Favorite ActionScript Editor

When it comes to coding I've used Crimson Text Editor for years as it let me write AS, HTML, CSS, PHP and C# files. The last release was in 2004 and sometime in the past year the syntax section of the site went down. Crimson worked with different programming languages via a couple of external files. Each language had two of these files which defined its syntax. As it stands now I can't find any ActionScript 3 syntax files so I'm left with either making my own or finding another editor.

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone else likes using. If anyone uses an editor that's not in the list then make a new post here and I'll add it to the poll. Please note that I will remove any non-contributive posts to this thread to keep it concise. I'm going to leave this poll open indefinately but remember you can only vote once.

"It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the votes."
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  3. Prisoner of the Sun

SciTE can do syntax-highlighting for all of those languages (plus about 70 more), as well as code-hinting and autocomplete. You can add another language with an external file.

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

It's very versatile. There's a vast amount of configuration options so you can get everything set up exactly how you need.

It's also very fast. e.g. it can open huge files instantly, whereas the same file causes Dreamweaver to lock up (100MB+).

EDIT
    Found some versions of SciTE specifically aimed at Actionscript: http://osflash.org/scite/

EDIT
    Heh - but the best one recommends using FlashDevelop instead... (it's based on SciTE)

EDIT
    FlashDevelop looks good. If you want to use a custom font in the editor, go to Tools > Application Files > Settings and edit ScintillaNET.xml
    I had to do this to use Consolas

EDIT
    Review of FlashDevelop 2 - includes helpful getting started tips
    http://www.flashmagazine.com/reviews/detail/flashdevelop_20/
    Last edited by b3n; June 25th, 2008 at 12:19 PM.
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  5. Prisoner of the Sun

Anyone know which is the best alternative to the Flash IDE for Mac users?
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  7. /*
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Eclipse works well on the MAC. I've only used it for Java myself though.
    Last edited by Tann San; August 7th, 2008 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Removed screenshot ;)
    */
  9. No Profile Picture

I've tried Eclipse a few times but keep having this issue where portions of the screen seem to get stuck and stop getting redrawn. Was a pity as it seems like a quite good application apart from that.
  11. if(x!="code"){die;
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs up

FDT is where its at.
    the name "pure coding comfort" says it all.

YES! eclipse is a memory hog.
    but if your have a decent ammount
    of ram this isnt going to be an issue.

i have 2 GB of mirrored DDR-2 ram.
    and i can run eclipse, illustrator, IE7,
    and flash CS2 simultaniously.
    +============+
    | http://xero.nu |
    +============+
  13. I [heart] Toxic Waste

I learned flash using Adobe Flash (the Flash IDE) and found it to be just fine. I guess I wasn't building very large projects, though.
  15. No Profile Picture

I prefer Flex, but that's maybe due to coming from a programming background rather than design.

In fairness though, in the small projects I've worked on so far, I've not felt limited by Flash CS3.
  17. /*

I do most AS in Flex now. I keep Flash CSX for timeline animation and graphics work. Loving the bone tool and 3D transformations in CS4.
    */
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Why don't you just use the Flash IDE?
  21. No Profile Picture

Its indenting/formatting is crap and it sucks when it comes to large ActionScript files i.e. it's very slow. Also it offers only the most basic code editing functionality. For basic coding it is fine but once you've worked on a multi-thousand line project you'll soon see the need for something more robust.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Whoa, I guess, I've never used ActionScript for anything wild so far.
  25. Prisoner of the Sun

Originally Posted by Tann San
    Its indenting/formatting is crap and it sucks when it comes to large ActionScript files i.e. it's very slow. Also it offers only the most basic code editing functionality. For basic coding it is fine but once you've worked on a multi-thousand line project you'll soon see the need for something more robust.
    How about Flash CS4 Profesional?

I want to start developing with Air etc. but I can't figure out how to do that (wasted years!). Flash CS4 has inbuilt support for Air - it also has incredible support for other Adobe products like Photoshop etc. So do extras like that and the other improvements mean it would not be unwise for me to buy Flash CS4?

- Bill Hicks

- Heart Sutra
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

How would you compile your AS if you used an external IDE?
  29. /*

You can use the Flex SDK
    */
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo