1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Flash bulletin board

Am thinking of building a bulletin board in flash. Just curious if anyone might have any thoughts on this such as best way to proceed.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I had the same idea a few months ago but neer really got moving on the project. I was probably going to build it with the flash MX frontend, perl scripting, and and SQL database..... maybe we should try to do this together.....
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

forum / BBS

Yes I would defiantly be interested in something like that. Itís about 12:30am right now and Iím going to bed but I will send you more on this idea. For now Let me say that I am just starting to tackle JavaScript. I have some time with MS SQL Server and I have really taken a liking to Flash MX and ActionScript. So in short Iím kind of weak in the other scripting languages and I need to refresh myself in T-SQL. I was think an ASP file using JavaScript to access the database. I have a sample ASP file written in JavaScript that is connectionless (no DSN) I think thatís right, Iíll have to look at it again. I would also have to study it out to see how to adapt it to our needs. Iím thinking it has to update the database every time someone post to it and it also has to hit the database to display the thread.

I was also thinking it would be good to write it so it would delete posts older than so many days so it wouldnít hog a lot of disk space.

I know a lot of hosting companies wonít let you run BBSís on their servers due to the demand it puts on their server. I was thinking it should be possible to do this so it wouldnít cause that problem.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo