Thread: Flash Newbie

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Flash Newbie

Ok, here is my question. I am a newbie to flash and have only been playing with it for about oh maybe 3 hours. I need to learn this relatively quickly though as I have a project due in a class of mine and would like to make it snazzy with Flash. So here goes. I am currently trying to get information from MySQL and use it in Flash. To my understanding I need to use PHP or some other scripting language to do so which is not a problem. I have made a test file that simply echo's a string in the form var="value"&var2="value2" and I am trying to load this into Flash using the following commands
    Code:
    temp = new LoadVars();
    temp.onLoad = function() { 
        for (i=0; i < this.n; i++) {
            content.htmlText += "<b><ahref='mailto:" + this["lastName"+i] + "'>" + this["lastName"+i];
        }
    }
    temp.load("test.php");
    the only problem is I get no output at all when I do this. The fla file I am currently using is located at http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~rusty0/SE/crap3.fla if you need to look at it and the test.php file is located there as well. I am sure what I am doing is because I am a complete retard as far as it is concerned with Flash right now but I woudl greatly appreciate any help
  3. No Profile Picture

ok, I got that part fixed. I followed a tutorial I found online (after doing it wrong a couple of times and got it working). My next question is an interesting one. I am trying to use the following command
    Code:
    content.htmlText += "<b><a href='asfunction:showmess," + this["message"+x] + "'>" + this["course"+x] + "</a>" + this["title"+x] + "</b><br>";
    and for some reason it works for the 2nd and 3rd values but not the 1st and 4th. Here is the output of the php file I am taking the information from
    Code:
    num=3&course0=01:192:150:02&coursename0=Web Applications&title0=Testing for bruce&date0=20030404030255&message0=bruce look at this&course1=01:192:150:02&coursename1=Web Applications&title1=Beginning of year info&date1=20030404000536&message1=This is a test to check web apps&course2=01:192:301:02&coursename2=Intro To&title2=Comp Science Urgent Please Read&date2=20030403224801&message2=This message is to show that my system works
    Also as a side note which might help someone solve this when I don't use the asfunction:showmess the output is as expected. It seems there is somethign wrong with message0 and 4 I just can't figure out what
  5. No Profile Picture

ok I am retarded, please ignore this whole post.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Got source?
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

if u don't want us to read it, delete it. and dont make it so we have to scroll out to do anything.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo