Thread: Changing Fonts?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Changing Fonts?

(If this doesn't go here, please move.)

Hello,

I am working on a homework assignment for my Flash class where I have to take a Flash game my instructor gave me, and "reverse" engineer it. I went to start the assignment and received an error that fonts were not installed on my system. I was able to find and download some of the fonts, but others either have spelling errors within the names or are named something else completely; plus there are also fonts that I would have to pay around $30 each for. Is there a way for me to fix this within the .fla file I was given? This is really bugging me since I'm not sure where these fonts were used within the file. -_- Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi, there isn't anything "broken" as such, it's just that you don't have the correct fonts installed. You can substitute the fonts via the Edit->Font Mapping option. That is only meant as a temporary solution. Optimally you would manually change the font in each of the TextFields that use it. That can be a pain though as you have to go through every clip and bit of code to find all references to the old fonts.

As for the fonts having the wrong name, I get that sometimes when my Mac using clients send me fonts they have exported. The Mac font exporter can do some spacky things with font names. One such thing is when they give me say 10 variations of the same font as 10 different files but they all have the same fontName. Totally kills my embedding options since Flash sees them all as the same one (>_<)

To get around that I spent a while trying to find a free easy to use app that lets me change the font name. I eventually setting on Type light. It's a full font editing app but I only use it for the fontName renaming ability.

You should really just nag your lecturer for the correct fonts.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you so much for your help. The Type Light program was just what I needed. ^_^ I alerted him to the problem and he seemed quite surprised!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo