1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wanting to design a webcam video chat website. Where to start?

hello, i am wondering where I should start with using Flash to create a video chat.

I have experience in HTML, PHP, C++, and SQL... not sure if that helps. But basically I am new to flash and wanna learn how to get a video chat going on my website. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi, you should check out Red5 Media Server which is a Java based media streaming server. It's an opensource alternative to Adobes Flash Media Server. If you read through those two sites product descriptions you should get an idea of what they do which in turn will help you search for more alternatives. Alot of people don't realise that there is a free developer edition of Flash Media Server although it is somewhat restricted in what you can do with it. You can see more about that here on the comparison page. It's good for development but the full package is well expensive. Instead of buying it yourself though you can find hosts that provide that functionality so you just pay for site hosting and get FMS usage included.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo