1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Free asp.net web hosting

can anyone please show me links on free web hosts that supports .aspx files (ASP.NET 2.0) and MS SQL server.

thanks in advance?
  3. DEVILS IN RED

I am too looking for a free asp.net and ms sql server hosting site.

Anyone knows?
    Ahmed Shefeer
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I used to use somee.com back in the day, i don't know if they have a free plan or if MS SQL is supported on free plans though.
  7. No Profile Picture

You can consider Hosting DOT Softsys DOT org. They host at less than $1/month with ultrafast servers supporting all the technologies you every use. Not to mention, their support is mind blowing!
  9. No Profile Picture

Need truly "FREE" ASP.NET 2.0 hosting

Originally Posted by sure123
    You can consider Hosting DOT Softsys DOT org. They host at less than $1/month with ultrafast servers supporting all the technologies you every use. Not to mention, their support is mind blowing!
    Even though that's cheap, it's still not free.

I myself am looking for a free hosting site that supports ASP.NET 2.0 - hopefully with server side includes, PHP, CGI/Perl, and other such languages. Plus, I need it to be accessible by FTP (some places you can only access using an online web builder software).

Mainly this is for testing purposes. I'm experimenting with a new layout being done in .aspx for our company website and, since I've never used it before, everything is a work in progress. I've been successful on testing it locally with IIS 5.1/ASP.NET 2.0 on my workstation, but I can't use it to show others how the outcome looks. If I wanted a critique by people on this Forum, I need a live site I can use. Our current web hosting sucks and the company I work for won't pay for a new hosting service until after I've completed a working new website. I'm not going to pay for a "test site" myself because 1) I don't spend MY money on company-related stuff, and 2) with the bad economy, I'm really tight for cash and don't want to spend a penny!

I tried using x10Hosting.com, but it's not reliable for doing ASP.NET applications. This was the response when I posted for help from their support ticket system:

Originally Posted by x10Hosting Tech Support
    We use 'mod_mono' to provide basic ASP.NET support. As I understand it we only support ASP.NET version 1, so if you are coding using something else it may not work.
    The problem could also be that you are coding in a language (VBscript, C# etc) that we don't support (Sorry but I do not know which languages are/aren't supported), you could try uploading a couple of simple test scripts to see what types of scripts work and which don't.
    This is very frustrating!!
  11. No Profile Picture

Unhappy True ASP.NET Free hosting may not exist

*** UPDATE: ***

Tried to Google "free ASP.NET 2.0 web hosting" and found links to paid hosting that offer free SQL databases and other free additions, but not free hosting. The only thing that came up was "ASPHost4Free.com".

Although, I don't know if I'm "just lucky" and got them at a system failure moment or if it's typical of this provider, but NOTHING works! Tried to login and it came up "Page not found" to login. Got my FTP instructions and tried to connect, but it wouldn't accept my login information - even though I used EXACTLY what I signed up with, which is also what the site sent me as a confirmation for setting up the account. It just doesn't work so don't waste your time with ASPHost4Free.com - they're useless!

So I'm beginning to believe that NOBODY provides free ASP.NET 2.0 or better hosting. If you want to use ASP.NET, I think you gotta pay for it. You want free server scripting, the best thing to do is switch to PHP or whatever other Open-Source coding that's out there.

Therefore, I've come to the conclusion:

If it has any connection to Microshaft, it's going to cost you - plain and simple!!
    Last edited by MGatESS; August 26th, 2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Senior moment - responded to my own post!!
  13. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

Ya, I'm pretty sure ASP.net is pretty expensive so hosting free would be pretty hard. If I am wrong on the costs, let me know, We have a few spare boxes I could throw something up for you.
    Brian Kearney, CEO Stealthy Hosting Inc
    Shared/Reseller/Dedicated Hosting Http://StealthyHosting.com
    Please Contact us for VPS/Colo pricing.
    Email: sales@stealthyhosting.com Phone: 253-880-1233
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hello,

There is not free lunch and you will not find free ASP.NET hosting with SQL Server support. (Who will invest in infrastructure, hardware, software, staff and give you a free service?), but you could host for free on your home PC. Just get dedicated IP address and domain name, which should be point to your IP address.

Regards
    http://www.windowshostingasp.net/ - Free ASP.NET Web hosting resources and information.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by brianbak
    Ya, I'm pretty sure ASP.net is pretty expensive so hosting free would be pretty hard. If I am wrong on the costs, let me know, We have a few spare boxes I could throw something up for you.
    I thought ASP.NET was free with IIS?? That's how I got it going on my workstation. I guess what it comes down to is if those providing free web hosting would want the additional cost of having Windows Server and IIS (and the headache of constant maintenance). Running Unix, or better yet Linux, is a much cheaper (and free) alternative to Windows - but then you run into the problem of that the ASP.NET "clone" software doesn't work like ASP.NET (what I've been experiencing with x10Hosting.

Guess I'm just screwed! :'(
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by HostingASPNet
    There is not free lunch and you will not find free ASP.NET hosting with SQL Server support. (Who will invest in infrastructure, hardware, software, staff and give you a free service?)...
    Actually, right now I'd be happy with it just being able to have full-functioning ASP.NET 2.0 because I'm just testing layout and building pages by calling other content in separate files - not needing to access a database or anything, but I need to have all the ASP.NET server-side scripting functions. It's just for testing purposes.

Originally Posted by HostingASPNet
    ... but you could host for free on your home PC. Just get dedicated IP address and domain name, which should be point to your IP address.
    That's not really a "free" option since I'd have to pay for the dedicated IP address and register the domain name. Plus, this is being done in my work environment - there's a whole dimension of network security issues to address if we opened our IP address for a web server. The company I work for will not, in this or any other plane of existence, ever go through that expense to set up a test server I can use over the Internet! That's why I was looking for a free hosting solution just to test with. After I've worked out the bugs, I would then put it on the live web server that we pay for for the company website.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by brianbak
    Try visit www_brinkster_net, 30MB disk space,16.7MB bandwidth/day, Asp.net 2.0,ms Access, no ads, each file is limited in 1MB. ---Free!!!
    Yet you have to write all your code in your aspx file or ascx file, no dll supported, web.config is not supported to create appsettings.

But it is free!
  23. No Profile Picture

FREE ASP.NET Web Hosting

Hi, if you're looking for a free ASP.NET Web hosting, some information could be found at

webhost4lifereview.com/free-aspnet-web-hosting/

Good Luck!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo