1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Looking for free domain name registration

i've been looking on the Internet for a free domain name registration service, but all i have found with the 'free' ones that are advertised is that the registration is free with the purchase of a particular service or package.

is there any absolutely free domain name registration service out there? one that will allow someone to register ONLY their domain name for free, with no attached services or packages required?

thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Matt26
    i've been looking on the Internet for a free domain name registration service, but all i have found with the 'free' ones that are advertised is that the registration is free with the purchase of a particular service or package.

is there any absolutely free domain name registration service out there? one that will allow someone to register ONLY their domain name for free, with no attached services or packages required?

thanks.
    is it safe to assume that no response means no suggestions?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

In this case it's safe to assume that no response means that such a service does not exist.

You might be able to find some weird country code level domain that you can get for free, probably just as a redirect though, and all of the ones I'm aware of are usually pretty heavily burdened with advertisements. An example of this type of approach is the .tk domain.

You won't find any no-strings-attached providers giving away free premier top level domains like .com or .org though, such a thing simple doesn't exist because any company doing that would go bankrupt in days.

Domain names are almost trivially cheap at this point, they have pretty much dropped to the absolute minimum price where the registrars are still able to turn a profit.
  7. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

I asume your new to the whole domain/webhosting business. Basicly in simplist terms ICANN (ICANN.ORG) manages all domain registrations. Only people/companies that are ICANN accredited can register domains with them, to become ICANN accredited it costs:

-US$2,500 non-refundable application fee, to be submitted with application.

-US$4,000 yearly accreditation fee due upon approval and each year thereafter.

-Variable fee (quarterly) billed once you begin registering domain names or the first full quarter following your accreditation approval, whichever occurs first. This fee represents a portion of ICANN's operating costs and, because it is divided among all registrars, the amount varies from quarter to quarter. Recently this fee has ranged from US$1,200 to S$2,000 per quarter.

-Transaction-based gTLD fee (quarterly). This fee is a flat fee (currently $0.20) charged for each new registration, renewal or transfer. This fee can be billed by the registrar separately on its invoice to the registrant, but is paid by the registrar to ICANN.

PLUS must have $70,000 in working capital and $500,000 insurance.

So if you have $100,000+ laying around you can then register domains for .20 per domain, if not then you can find domain registrations for around $8.00 for a year. Some companies like myself will give you a free domain with a purchase of a webhosting package as an added bonus and saves you money.

Can email me at Brian (at) StealthyHosting.com if you have any more questions.
    Brian Kearney, CEO Stealthy Hosting Inc
    Shared/Reseller/Dedicated Hosting Http://StealthyHosting.com
    Please Contact us for VPS/Colo pricing.
    Email: sales@stealthyhosting.com Phone: 253-880-1233
  9. No Profile Picture

if you can't get any TLD i suggest that you get free domains like .co.cc, .ru or other.
  11. No Profile Picture

Dedicated Server

2x Intel Quad Core Xeon 2.0GHz,
    4GB RAM, 30GB SSD + 2 x 1TB SATA RAID-1 HDD
    100 Mbit Unmetered and Unshared bandwidth
    OS Linux
    Free IP's
    $50/monthly

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo