1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Free Vps Required To Check What Tools Both Free & Paid Vps Hosts Provide

Vps Hosts,

I was actually looking for a paid Vps Host.
    I have used free shared hosting before and always used paid shared hosts and so have experience with them. They always provide cPanel.
    Now, I was searching for a VPS Host because shared hosts are forbidding running web proxies.
    But, I came across a VPS Host who is gonna charge an extra $15/month for cPanel. That astonished me real bad! Charge an extra $15/month for cPanel ? Doesn't cPanel come with the VPS hosting ? If so, then why charge an extra ? Mmm. Maybe none of the VPS Hosts are providing cPanel and maybe they provide some other tools which I have no experiences with. In that case, I might not like what tools they are offering and it would be a waste of my money finding things out the hard way.
    And so, I figured it is best that, I try a free VPS Host first. If such are available.

Anyway, I want to see what tools VPS Hosts provide ? I need the tools' names so I can check in youtube what they look like and view instructions how to use them.

How can you help ?

Cheers!
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; April 6th, 2018 at 04:14 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am reading some vps host replies.
    One talks about charging $15/month for cPanel. Another talks about me have to get/buy license to the software. Not sure if they're talking about cPanel or Linux itself. Made a query. Waiting for reply.
    That brings me to the question:
    How does the free vps differ to the paid vps ? What do we get with each type of hosting (free, paid) that we don't get with the other ?
    Does not any software come installed with the Vps Server ? I get a complete barebone and only get access to the desktop ? I have to install the OS aswell as all the required softwares ? Have to install Linux, Apache, Php Interpreter, cPanel etc. ?
    Can I install xampp ? Would remote visitors have access to my site if I install xampp ? I am a little confused now as I don't have experience using a vps.
    What do I have to lookout for using a vps ?
    Do we have to install Vmware and all by ourselves ?
    Also, vps hosts talk about charging for ip or extra ip. Why charge for ip ? Shared hosts never charge for ip!
    Don't have experience with vps.
    Getting confused even more now!
    I need to know ...
    So, what do I have to install apart from cPanel ? Linux ? Vmware ? Apache ? Php Interpreter ? xampp/wampp ? Smtp mail Server ? Pop Mail Server ? Dns Server ? Am I just getting a server with no software installed ? I have to install everything ?
    How do I access the server if no software is installed ? How do I connect remotely to the server ? In order to connect, I must have access to some kind of a software/tool.
    Do you have a video tutorial ? I want to see video instructions on how to do things.

I only want to pay for the hosting and nothing else (just like I do with Shared Hosting). Don't want to be paying Linux or Apache Webserver or Php Interpreter or cPanel. Must I pay for ip or is the charge for extra IPs ? Why would I need an extra ip ?
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; April 6th, 2018 at 05:18 AM.
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by UniqueIdeaMan
    How does the free vps differ to the paid vps ? What do we get with each type of hosting (free, paid) that we don't get with the other ?
    Free VPS's will be shockingly bad, and only used as a way to get you into the comapnies systems to upgrade you to a paid VPS. Seriously, a semi-decent VPS is not that expensive, so jsut pay for it.

Does not any software come installed with the Vps Server ? I get a complete barebone and only get access to the desktop ? I have to install the OS aswell as all the required softwares ? Have to install Linux, Apache, Php Interpreter, cPanel etc. ?
    That depends on what you order. The standard bas will be a bare-bones Linux install, so you'll get Linux, and... well that's all.

Most hosts will also have Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc added as well, so that's a good start. As for cPanel, the licenses do cost money per server. On a shared hosting server the cost is built into your plan and is only a fraction, but for a VPS, you need a server license, which is that price. If you don't ike it, check how much it costs from cPanel themselves... it's a lot more.

Can I install xampp ?
    Oh no. That's worse then useless. XAMMP is only for a Windows machine (not server), so even if you were running a Windows server you wouldn't want that anyway as it would interfeere with the built-in systems.

Do we have to install Vmware and all by ourselves ?
    You don't need to do anything like that. VMware (or which ever virtualisation software the host is using) is on the main physical server, not the VPS's that it holds.

Also, vps hosts talk about charging for ip or extra ip. Why charge for ip ? Shared hosts never charge for ip!
    IP's cost money. And I'd love to find a shared hosting account that doesn't charge me for extra IP's - I'd order 1,000's! Show me where you can get these free and I'll sign up!

So, what do I have to install apart from cPanel ? Linux ? Vmware ? Apache ? Php Interpreter ? xampp/wampp ? Smtp mail Server ? Pop Mail Server ? Dns Server ? Am I just getting a server with no software installed ? I have to install everything ?
    Depending on the host, all of that could come already installed. I'd highly suggest that you let the hosting company get that set up. Unless you know what you're doing, setting up all of that manually can be a nightmare.

How do I access the server if no software is installed ? How do I connect remotely to the server ? In order to connect, I must have access to some kind of a software/tool.
    SSH.

Do you have a video tutorial ? I want to see video instructions on how to do things.
    The hosting company might. But, a video tutorial about what? There's a few hundred possibilities for this, so it's going to be hard to find what you want unless you actually know what you want

I only want to pay for the hosting and nothing else (just like I do with Shared Hosting). Don't want to be paying Linux or Apache Webserver or Php Interpreter or cPanel. Must I pay for ip or is the charge for extra IPs ? Why would I need an extra ip ?
    So, get a plan that offers what you need. The same as a shared hosting platform.

As for IP's, you might need more, but most times you won't. You purchase them as the need comes up.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Cat,

You frequently come to my aid.
    No. I meant shared hosts don't charge for IPs. Wasn't talking about extra IPs. I just saw a vps hosts charging for extra IPs and started to jump to conclusion maybe all vps hosts charge for the very first ip too. Now, I know better.
    They probably count our very first ip with the monthly hosting cost anyway and charge extras for any extra IPs. I get it now.
    I forgot, xampp/wampp only for Windows. I actually only need Apache, Php, Mysql and cPanel. Windows platform should have them and so giving the Windows systems a very little thought now. But do you reckon going the Windows route would be a nightmare and disaster later on ?
    It's just I don't have experience with Linux/Unix. And, SSH ? Ah! never used them. Telnet and all those old stuffs. Yuck!
    Anyway, I downloaded a video tutorial from a vps host. Let me see what I make out of all this. This vps host things is starting to become dragging dread (dd). See, I invented something: DD.
    I need to see on the video tutorial how you remotely login to your vps server and configure stuffs. That's what I meant when searching for a vid tut.
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9

For a good hosting server use Linux. Windows can do hosting, but it's not meant for that and doesn't perform as well. It also has a lot of extra licensing costs for the Windows Server software.

Any good VPS company will manage the VPS for you and I strongly suggest you pay for that service if you don't know much about Linux and the command line.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    For a good hosting server use Linux. Windows can do hosting, but it's not meant for that and doesn't perform as well. It also has a lot of extra licensing costs for the Windows Server software.

Any good VPS company will manage the VPS for you and I strongly suggest you pay for that service if you don't know much about Linux and the command line.
    Ok. I only wanted free vps to get an idea if I would be able to cope using them or not since I don't have any experience with vps.
  13. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Ok. I only wanted free vps to get an idea if I would be able to cope using them or not since I don't have any experience with vps.
    It's quite simple. A free VPS won't handle it. It doesn't matter what you want to do, a free VPS won't do it.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    It's quite simple. A free VPS won't handle it. It doesn't matter what you want to do, a free VPS won't do it.
    Thanks man! I actually stopped looking for free vps about 2wks back. Frankly, I never really bothered looking for them. just kept an option open on the side while searching for paid vps.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo