1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to give someone access to download files from FTP site

Hi folks

Sorry this may be a pretty basic question but I'm not very familiar with FTP. Basically I'm trying to figure out how I can give someone access to my ftp site to download files. I don't want them to have any administrative access such as being able to upload/delete files, but just to be able to download them. Currently I'm using Core FTP Lite to upload files to the site. The only login for the site is my admin login, but I need to figure out how to setup other users.

Can anyone provide me with any help on how to do this?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It depends on what FTP server you're using. Most FTP servers will allow you set up a user with read only access to some directories, but how you do it varies widely from server to server.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    It depends on what FTP server you're using. Most FTP servers will allow you set up a user with read only access to some directories, but how you do it varies widely from server to server.
    Thanks for your reply.

I'll try to cut a long story short. Basically one of my colleagues suddenly quit leaving us in quite a bad mess. He was in charge of the majority of our domains including the one that I am currently talking about. I noticed on his laptop that he was using the Core FTP client to upload files and I managed to obtain his login for it. I can also login to the domain hosting site but for some reason it won't let me access the domain control panel on the hosting site.

With regards to a server I'm assuming you mean something such as Core FTP Server? I don't currently have my colleagues laptop at the moment so therefore I'm not sure if he has something such as Core FTP Server installed. I did try installing Core FTP server however I don't have a clue how to set it up with my FTP site

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The FTP client you use generally has no relation to the FTP server you use.

If your website is hosted by a third party webhost then you will need access to their control panel in order to set up and change FTP accounts. Webhosts generally provide a web based interface for managing FTP accounts and do not allow configuration of accounts through any other method.

It sounds like you'll need to contact the web host in order to accomplish this.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    The FTP client you use generally has no relation to the FTP server you use.

If your website is hosted by a third party webhost then you will need access to their control panel in order to set up and change FTP accounts. Webhosts generally provide a web based interface for managing FTP accounts and do not allow configuration of accounts through any other method.

It sounds like you'll need to contact the web host in order to accomplish this.
    Thanks

I had an idea that this might be the case. I'm not sure if you know of this hosting site but it's hosted throught streamline.net.

I'll give them a call tomorrow
  11. Contributing User

Hello,

Can you access the CP? If you cant access the CP, you need to find out your username and password for your Control Panel. You can ask your hosting provider.

Then, after you have login, you can create new FTP account via your CP.

Hope it helps

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo