1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Binary upload becomes gibberish?

Hello.

I have a simple ftp upload script called from an MS Access application. The script opens an ftp port, switches to binary mode, and runs mput on a local folder containing .csv files. From all computers except one, the files are uploaded properly, however from one specific computer, the uploaded files contain only binary "gibberish" when opened.

Any ideas on what I should do to treoubleshoot?

Much appreciated!

J.
  3. No Profile Picture

script

There could be two possible scenarios here.

1) You are opening a file with an application which is not supposed to open the application. e.g. Wordpad opening a jpeg image.

2) Your script corrupts the data. It is vary hard to say without looking at the script.

Try transferring the file with a another client program e.g. FileZilla, this will atleast tell you that there is nothing wrong with the file itself.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks, mjawwad.

I confirmed that the files themselves are fine prior to upload, and when the script is run from another PC the files upload perfectly. So there's something specific about the way the script is run on the subject computer that is corrupting the files.

Any other thoughts?

Originally Posted by mjawwad
    There could be two possible scenarios here.

1) You are opening a file with an application which is not supposed to open the application. e.g. Wordpad opening a jpeg image.

2) Your script corrupts the data. It is vary hard to say without looking at the script.

Try transferring the file with a another client program e.g. FileZilla, this will atleast tell you that there is nothing wrong with the file itself.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo