1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can't find Remote Directory Name

I'm pretty low-tech, but I'm trying to use an online HTML editor tool. When you login for the first time to the online tool, it asks for the FTP login info. I put in all of the info, but I don't have a 'Remote Directory' name. When I use my regular FTP widget, there's a line for 'Remote Path', but it's blank. Any ideas?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well Remote Path should usually be left blank since most of the FTP accounts are system defined and when you log in you are actually sent to your home folder by default. Remote Path is simply said used to navigate the client directly to a specific place inside its home folder right upon the connection which is just a quicker way to directly access the desired folder (much the same as if you would simply connect and browse to the desired folder of a deeper level).

To get back to the problem at hand. Are you getting some kind of error or denied access when you try to connect? Basically all you need to connect to an FTP is the hostname (or the corresponding address) and the corresponding username and password.
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    abstract class Ignorance extends Stupidity implements Unavoidable 
         public static 
    $humiliation

private function 
    __construct(){

parent::__destruct();
         }; 

?>
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by holodoc
    Well Remote Path should usually be left blank since most of the FTP accounts are system defined and when you log in you are actually sent to your home folder by default. Remote Path is simply said used to navigate the client directly to a specific place inside its home folder right upon the connection which is just a quicker way to directly access the desired folder (much the same as if you would simply connect and browse to the desired folder of a deeper level).

To get back to the problem at hand. Are you getting some kind of error or denied access when you try to connect? Basically all you need to connect to an FTP is the hostname (or the corresponding address) and the corresponding username and password.
    Yes- I'm getting an access denied message. The site tool I'm trying to access gives suggestions for what the root folder might be, here are their examples :

public_html (which I do have , but putting that in doesn't work)

web

httpdocs

/

I've tried all of them to no avail. I'm wondering if I could figure it out by looking at the folder tree on my FTP?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo