1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Correct server permissions for FTP users

Running CentOS 5.2 as an internal development server
    Dealing with a FTP permissions issue.

When a user FTPs a file, permissions are always incorrect.
    Their account ends up as the files owner but the read write settings seem to come over haphazardly. Occasionally they cant even write the file they just copied. Frequently other users cant access or delete the files others have uploaded.
    I always need to get into the server and manually override owner and permissions.

I created a user group for the developers. The www/html directory has 'root' as owner and the 'devGroup' as group with read write. I have SELinux disabled.

I want a configuration that allows everyone to FTP files up and down and change permissions with out restriction. Everyone can add/edit/delete their and others files.

Can anyone give me a quick 1.2.3. or point me to an 'easy to understand' resource on correcting this issue?

Any help GREATLY! appreciated!!!!!
  3. No Profile Picture

just change the permissions to 777
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hourb
    just change the permissions to 777
    That works only after they have been uploaded. Any newly uploaded files have permissions I have to futz with. I am looking for a solution keeps me from having to futz with permissions each time a new file is uploaded.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by iridiangroup
    That works only after they have been uploaded. Any newly uploaded files have permissions I have to futz with. I am looking for a solution keeps me from having to futz with permissions each time a new file is uploaded.
    in my host when im uploading the files is an option over there and i choose my permissions do u want a screenshot to see?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hourb
    in my host when im uploading the files is an option over there and i choose my permissions do u want a screenshot to see?
    Thanks for the offer but I run this server and dont have any front-end environment management tools (i.e. plesk, cpanel) installed. I think what I'm after is related to what is called a stickybit. But not positive.
  11. No Profile Picture

I believe you just edit the umask for your ftp server

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo