1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Drop files into a folder with using an ftp client?

I seem to recall a URL syntax that would allow one to log in to a folder on one's website (using a browser) and drag files into it via ftp. Is this still possible, and if so what is the proper syntax? It is or was SOMETHING like (or maybe not...):

ftp://<user>:<password>@<host>:<port>/<url-path>;type=<typecode>

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It depends on the browser. As far as I know, most browsers (IE and FF at least) don't support FTP uploading out-of-the-box, although they do support browsing and downloading from FTP servers. Windows Explorer does support uploads, and the syntax is as you described it, although I'm not sure about the ;type= part. There are extensions for Firefox that will add FTP uploading as well, I don't think there are any for IE.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    It depends on the browser. As far as I know, most browsers (IE and FF at least) don't support FTP uploading out-of-the-box, although they do support browsing and downloading from FTP servers. Windows Explorer does support uploads, and the syntax is as you described it, although I'm not sure about the ;type= part. There are extensions for Firefox that will add FTP uploading as well, I don't think there are any for IE.
    With IE8, if you navigate to the FTP server, click on Page at the far right and select "Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer"... with IE6, I believe, it automatically opens as Windows Explorer.

Hadn't heard of the type part before...
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo