1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question FTP Clients Fail at PASV Command

Hello,

I was hoping someone could provide some insight into an issue I'm having with some FTP Clients.

Lets start with where the issues began. I changed my home network layout from a modem and router to a modem/router all-in-one that supports DOCSIS 3.0. It's a Motorola SBG6580. I've port forwarded port 21 and a custom RDP port so i can accesses my FTP server remotely. RDP works with no issues but FTP seems to be picky-choosie.

Windows 7 Enterprise can FTP using the Windows Explorer Client but cannot connect from CMD. Windows 2000 pro can connect from Windows Explorer and CMD. Also LinuxMINT can connect via command line. However, Filezilla and Android FTP Client cannot connect at all. Also Windows 8 RT cannot connect at all either.

All of the connections that fail, fail at the PASV command. I'm assuming this is a passive FTP setting, but I was not having this issue with my previous router and modem. The FTP client i'm using on my FTP server is IIS 7.5 on Windows 10 Technical Preview.

The only change i have made is my network components. I've considered opening port 20, but I did not have to previously and some clients connect while others don't, so i'm not sure if opening port 20 will help.

Additionally, none of these issues exist from inside my network. So I'm assuming there's something I'm missing with my Motorola.

Any ideas would be awesome!

Thanks all!
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    In passive FTP mode, you need to setup your firewall to allow any incoming connections to ports > 1023 to your server.

See Active FTP vs. Passive FTP, a Definitive Explanation for details.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture

The problem is not with my server but my Modem/router gateway that isn't letting traffic through. INSIDE my network Android FTP Client works flawlessly, but when trying to access it from a remote location the signal dies at PASV. Maybe open the 1023 and above ports on my gateway? I'm going to go ahead and try that and see what happens.

Thanks much.
  7. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Yeah, that's what I said. The problem is your firewall gateway blocking ports > 1023, not your FTP server.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you for your help. I looked into my Android FTP client's settings a little further and saw it was set to passive. Immediately after changing it to Active the client connected successfully. seems my gateway is currently configured to Active FTP connections at the moment. Kinda figured that out after ACTUALLY reading the article you posted instead of skimming it over in a frustrated hurry.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo