1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FTP from the Command Line

I am accessing my files simply by typing in ftp localhost from the command line. I login with my username and password. I can download files by using the "Get" command with no problems.
    When I use the "Put" command to upload a file, it appears to upload (in other words, no error messages) but the file does not appear in my folder on the server. Where does the original file need to be in order for FTP recognize it from the command line. I doesn't seem as if you direct the path of the file you want to upload. Can anyone direct me here?
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

"ftp localhost"? You're uploading files from your computer back to your computer? Okay...

Are you sure the file isn't there? Do a DIR and make sure the file did get uploaded. I bet you it did, and when you look for the file you're looking in the wrong place. PWD will tell you what directory you're putting the files in - compare that to the directory where you're looking for them.
  5. No Profile Picture

Ftp

Yes, I have looked it is not there. I am just doing this for training purposes to show how to use ftp from the command line. It defiantly is not uploading. When I use the Put command....
    Put upload.txt then the next wording that appears is upload.txt F:

Can anyone tell me what this means?

Originally Posted by requinix
    "ftp localhost"? You're uploading files from your computer back to your computer? Okay...

Are you sure the file isn't there? Do a DIR and make sure the file did get uploaded. I bet you it did, and when you look for the file you're looking in the wrong place. PWD will tell you what directory you're putting the files in - compare that to the directory where you're looking for them.
  7. Transforming Moderator

Copy/paste what the prompt says (right-click, Mark, select text, and hit Enter to copy) or screenshot it. I'm not sure what the "upload.txt F:" is supposed to be.

If the file actually isn't uploading then you're probably running into permissions issues. Like you've hinted at in your other thread.
  9. No Profile Picture

Screen shots

ftp> Put uploadme.txt
    uploadme.txt: F
    ftp>

I have put the file on the desktop and at the root of C.
  11. Transforming Moderator

That's not normal output for put. It should say stuff about 200 PORT and opening ports for transfer and some statistics when it's done. If you're not getting that then there's some other problem.

Are you trying this before or after you fixed the permissions?
  13. No Profile Picture

After I fixed the permissions. I have no problem logging in now. I even changed the folder and did not restrict anyone from using it.

Originally Posted by requinix
    That's not normal output for put. It should say stuff about 200 PORT and opening ports for transfer and some statistics when it's done. If you're not getting that then there's some other problem.

Are you trying this before or after you fixed the permissions?
  15. No Profile Picture

Still the same issue

Can anyone enlighten me on this issue. When using the Put command, I cannot upload a document.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo