1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy FTP on dedicated server - timing out + illegal PORT command issues

Hi all,

This is my first post on Dev Shed, and I'm glad to have found this place.

We recently moved our Wordpress-based website from a GoDaddy shared hosting to a dedicated server. Unfortunately, the server is managed by someone who knows little about this kind of stuff and I'm in charge of the basic html programming, so we're in the dark about lots of things.

One issue that keeps popping up whenever I'm working on our Wordpress install through FTP (using Coda, a webmaster's software for Mac OS X) is that my connection keeps timing out. After I connect, I can open a few directories, maybe a php file or two, but at some point Coda will return an error: "Failed to establish connection; Error -142: Illegal PORT command".

When this happens, the only thing I can do is disconnect, then reconnect -- and navigate all the way back to the directory I wanted to access in the first place... Very time-consuming, of course.

A similar error often happens when I want to save whatever file I've been modifying in Coda (php, css, etc.): the transfer doesn't work immediately, and I get: "Failed to establish connection; Error -160: could not start data transfer." When this happens, I simply have to try saving a couple times more, and it generally succeeds after a while.

As you can imagine, these errors make for extremely time-consuming and painful webmastering. They never appeared when our website was still hosted by GoDaddy.

Any insights on how to get rid of these problems?

Cheers,
    Dorian
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Not too familiar with that, but almost sounds like a timeout issue. How long are you connected to the FTP server while idle? I'm wondering if you're connecting fine, then you start working on the files, server ends the idle session after some period of time, and you receive the error.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi Seack,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Actually the puzzling thing is that the timeout happens very quickly: I barely have the time to connect, open a couple directories, and in a matter of seconds I get this annoying "Illegal PORT command" error...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo