1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question New to FTP/need help editing on my server using FTP.

I got FTP yesterday and put it on my computer as I wanted to edit my webpage. I did everything it told me to do, I went to where the page was I wanted to edit, right clicked it and it opened up in a window I could edit it in. I edit what I wanted to edit and pushed save. The window popped up asking me if I wanted to do this, I clicked yes. Every time I do this, I get a Critical file transfer error. I am wondering if there is a step I am missing, or if I am doing something wrong. Every place I have gone to and read, tells me to do what I am doing.

Also the file I am trying to change is not on my computer. Will this affect, editing things on ones server or no. I am wondering if that might be my problem that the file I am editing is not on my computer.

I would be very grateful if someone could post step by step instructions on how to do this. Let me know if the file has to be on mu computer for me to edit on FTP.

Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi

Firstly can you let us know what software you are using and then someone may be able to guide you through the steps.

The easiest way is to have two copies of the files. One on your PC and one on your server. Edit the files on your PC (it will be quicker), test results on your PC and then when finally ahppy with the changes FTP the changed file across to your host server.

Hope this helps. Any queries, ask again.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo