1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

tron,
    On re-reading my reply to your post, it 'sounded' to me like i was implying I'd solved the problem....that couldn't be further from the truth...if you can help with configuring the ftp i'd really appreciate your further comments.
    thanks,
    brad
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Brad

inetd does not start the server until a request comes in. therefore you will not see it when you run ps or top unless there is an active ftp session underway.

linuxconf does not, to the best of my knowledge, provide any facilities for configuring daemons and inetd servers. something like webmin ( www.webmin.com ) would be more down that alley...

hope this helps
  5. No Profile Picture

Supine,
    Thanks for the reply, it seems that ftp is not even running as a command line ftp request made locally (ie on the server itself) gives the reply:
    Service not available, remote server has closed the connection
    I assume this means that ftp services are not on? is this right? If so , how do I turn it on???

thanks,
    Brad
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supine:
    Brad

inetd does not start the server until a request comes in. therefore you will not see it when you run ps or top unless there is an active ftp session underway.

linuxconf does not, to the best of my knowledge, provide any facilities for configuring daemons and inetd servers. something like webmin ( www.webmin.com ) would be more down that alley...

hope this helps
    [/quote]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo