1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FTP taken over by phishing site twice

Any advice on security practive you can give me?
    I have twice had my FTP taken over by a Phishing site. I am the only person who knows the password and have not emailed it or shared in anyway.
    Can a hacker see a password somehow when I use the FTP? I'm using Fetch on OSX?
    I use logmein sometimes to view my computer remotely. Can a hacker use that maybe? I don;t know how this is happening? I'm planning to change hosting provider tomorrow but not sure if that is the leak.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Can a hacker see a password somehow when I use the FTP? I'm using Fetch on OSX?
    Actually yes, FTP is completely unencrypted.

However, the most likely culprit is insecure code on your site. Do you use any server side programming languages to provide dynamic content?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Actually yes, FTP is completely unencrypted.

However, the most likely culprit is insecure code on your site. Do you use any server side programming languages to provide dynamic content?

No code - just a very simple HTML site. Its happend twice within 2 months and not to other FTP logins I have. Just this one in particular. At this moment I'm waiting for a new password as they have changed it. It currently hosts a fake BankofAmerica.com site.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo