1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New to FTP Need Set Up Help

OK so I just recently started looking into FTP. My Friend asked me how to set one up and since I wasn't really sure I am trying to learn.

I want my final 'product' to be my friend being able to download a file I uploaded through FileZilla server. Btw I'm using both FileZilla server and client.

This is what I know/have done so far. I successfully set up the FTP server on my personal computer. I am able to log onto this server from another PC (located in the same network). My friend is NOT in the same network and he is not able to connect to my FTP.

From what I've read online, this has something to do with DNS or Port Forwarding. This is where things got a little confusing for me. Any help on the subject would be great. Thanks in Advance
  3. They're coming to take me away

If you are hosting your own domain and such for the other user to connect to, then yes, you would need to set up DNS to accept the requests and such.

If the other user, however, is just typing in your IP to connect to, then you don't need to deal with DNS:
    If you are behind a router or firewall, then you need to forward or open the appropriate port(s) that you set up in your FTP server. For exact instructions on how to forward or open ports, visit the hardware manufacturer's user manual for your product (for routers), and if you are behind a firewall, the way to open the port varies depending on the software.

In your router, you will probably be looking for something dealing with either Port Forwarding or Virtual Servers, but it may be labeled something else depending on which router you are using.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture

If you have a domain name, you will need to set up a DNS, but if you are just using your server's IP address, your friend should have no problem connecting.

FYI, you will need to use your external IP address, if you don't know it, google what is my IP and there are online utilities that will tell you.

Good luck!
  7. No Profile Picture

Ok so basically I dont have to do anything with DNS. I understand what you guys are saying about external IP and configuring my firewall/ports.

The only thing is I'm on a university campus. Since I'm on their network would it still be possible for my friend to connect? Or, theoretically, would the university tech department have to allow this connection to happen?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

since you are using University Campus' network, you need to find out its TOS for usage, but, I HIGHLY doubt you will be allowed to setup an FTP while on campus.

And, yes, you would need to get permission from some network tech to allow the connection [legally].

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo