1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FTP site over internet vs intranet

Hello guys,

I am a newbie to FTP and have the following question. I will be grateful to receive any help.

As per the microsoft document 'How to open documents from FTP site and save documents to FTP site with Office programs'

if the FTP site is located on the Internet, the format is: ftp://xyz. c o m
    If the FTP site is part of your company's intranet, the format is: ftp://server name/folder

Having set up an FTP server on my PC, I can access it using ftp://server name on any browser but how can I change it to the first format i.e. ftp://xyz. c o m

Thanks in advance
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by aks8383
    Hello guys,

I am a newbie to FTP and have the following question. I will be grateful to receive any help.

As per the microsoft document 'How to open documents from FTP site and save documents to FTP site with Office programs'

if the FTP site is located on the Internet, the format is: ftp://xyz. c o m
    If the FTP site is part of your company's intranet, the format is: ftp://server name/folder

Having set up an FTP server on my PC, I can access it using ftp://server name on any browser but how can I change it to the first format i.e. ftp://xyz. c o m

Thanks in advance
    Do you have a domain that you want to use? If not, that would be the first step.. decide on a domain you want to use. Then setup DNS to host that domain.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo