1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FTP speed problem

Howdy

I use FileZilla and have been using it for the last month or so. Prior to that I have never used ftp at all.

Up until about 10 days ago I was FTP ing files from a US server to my PC at speeds between 300-600 KB/s.

Now for some unknown reason my speeds have dropped down to 60ish KB/s.

The only exception to the 60KB/s is when I first initiate the download. It then fluctuates between 200 and 500 KBs/s but only stays at that way for about 5 seconds before is drops down to 60.

The tracert time to my server is 262ms (I live in Oz). I have been told that that is a bad tracert time.

Even so I was getting good speeds and I don't know what happened and what has changed.

My ISP insists that my connection is fine and my speed is good. I have done an independent line speed test and these are the results. Line speed 7.96MBps and download speed of 995KB/s.

This problem is perplexing me and I don't think the problem is FileZilla?

In recent times I have.

Re installed windows
    Uninstalled and reinstalled FileZilla
    Hassled my ISP (TPG) to check out my Connection.

Any ideas please.

Thankyou
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It could also be the server at the other end that has slowed down. Your transfer only runs at the speed of the slowest link.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. They're coming to take me away

As mentioned, it could be the server you're connecting to.

Have you tried to:
    1) FTP from another network to the same server?
    2) FTP to another server?
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ftp speed problem

I was going to ftp the site yesterday from my friends PC and see if the results were different. Unfortunately someone else was using his computer.

I don't know if you mean the bellow

do you know a server in the US or Europe that I can test from. Id obviously need the IP, user and password

Thanks
  9. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Yowie
    I was going to ftp the site yesterday from my friends PC and see if the results were different. Unfortunately someone else was using his computer.
    Try later or someone else's (or library, internet cafe, restaurant, hotel, etc... there are many places that have internet where you can use... some have computers where others would require you to take a laptop).

I don't know if you mean the bellow
    No clue what this means.

do you know a server in the US or Europe that I can test from. Id obviously need the IP, user and password

Thanks
    Do a google search for fedora or freebsd, or any other number of linux sites... they generally have quite a few ftp connections available to download their software from.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo