1. No Profile Picture
    matthewdoucette.com
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Problems FTPing in ASCII modes using SSH2

I am having problems FTPing in ASCII modes using SSH2. Is it possible to use ASCII mode (as opposed to binary mode) when FTPing using SSH2?

More details: I am using Cute FTP PRO with SSH2 SFTP (triple DES) encryption. When I connect to a regular FTP site and I upload files in both ASCII and Binary modes. No problems so far. However, when I connect to an FTP that is protected with SSH2, it seems to only upload using Binary mode. I can not pinpoint the problem. It is either:

1) a bug in Cute FTP Pro,
    2) settings in Cute FTP Pro
    3) the FTP site itself, or
    4) SSH2 restrictions itself which only allow binary mode

Any ideas?
    Matthew Doucette / Xona.com
  3. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

FTP and SSH are two different protocols. . . Just to nitpick.

I have no problem with SSH2, I use it exclusively to put code on my servers (via rsync and scp, the SSH file transfer alternative). My suggestion would be to try another client, ssh handles ascii versus binary line endings fine.

Do a google search for "winscp," which is a very nice free windows SCP client.
  5. No Profile Picture
    matthewdoucette.com
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I meant FTP as in the general term of file transferring. I guess I am using SFTP / SSH2?

Anyway, I know that SSH2 handles any type of file, but what I need it to do is connect to my server via ASCII mode so that the transfer converts the DOS newline characters into Unix newline characters so that my scripts do not get scrambled up. Is this possible with SSH2?

I tried WinSCP and it is no good at all. I was uploading a group of files and an error would occur and then the whole program would shut down completely. To hell with that, not worth my time. Also, the mouse functions are completely incorrect and just plain annoying. The program should stick with windows standards for selecting multiple files instead of relying on keyboard shortcuts that are not even really shortcuts (using windows menus). I have to upload files way too often to use a program that makes it this hard for me. Anyway, enough of my bitching about WinSCP. If anyone has other comments on this program, I welcome them.
    Matthew Doucette / Xona.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo