1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Getting an FTP through a router

Im having some trouble getting my FTP to work outside of my local network. I think its something to do with my router, but im not sure.

Router: WNR200v2
    FTP software: ServeU

Can anyone give me any help?
  3. No Profile Picture

First place to start would be to check that you have port 21 forwarded to the computer that is the FTP server. You can do this with the web interface for the router.
  5. No Profile Picture

I have done that. Its forwarded to port 21, and the server will work locally, but outside of my home network, i cant access it.
  7. No Profile Picture

What type of Internet connection do you have? Certain DSL modems have "router" functionality built into them, and they can sometimes kill the request before it gets to your router.
  9. No Profile Picture

I have DSL, but ive gotten the FTP to work before with this modem. The only thing thats changed since i last got this to work is the router. And i cant figure out what its doing to stop the request.
  11. No Profile Picture

Ok. Since you have a DSL modem and a router, and they both want to be a router, you will need to tweak some things on the modem. Currently both devices are acting as a firewall, which prevents request from getting through. When you login to the control for the modem, look for something like "passive mode" or "bridge". This will tell the modem's firewall to ignore any incoming requests and just forward them on to the router to deal with. Once you tweak the modem, and have the port forwarding turned on in the router, you should be able to access the FTP server.
  13. No Profile Picture

I cant get into the modem, it already is nothing but a bridge. Its a one outlet modem, thats why we have the router. Like i said, im pretty sure its a problem exclusively with this router because ive gotten an FTP through this modem and a different outer before.
  15. No Profile Picture

Take a look at the manual for ServU.

http://download.rhinosoft.com/Serv-U_Users_Manual.pdf

On page 15, they mention which ports need to be setup. You have already opened port 21 for standard FTP, but it looks like it also needs some additional ports opened for PASV. If your router has UPnP enabled, it should be able to setup the PASV ports automatically.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo