1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help - where are my website files?

I have several websites hosted with a company that is sometimes less than helpful. (I know-I shall be moving soon) All these sites were uploaded to their respective public_html directories via CoreFTP and there was no problem until a couple of days ago when most became inaccessible. I reported the problem and was told in a couple of hours it had been fixed. Sure enough, so it seemed. The sites were accessible via my web browser BUT when I tried to FTP into them I was presented with an un-named directory containing 1 empty folder. All the sites files and folders seemed to have disappeared. However when I checked FTP accounts in Cpanel I find that the files are now in a Special FTP account with the path /home2/mysite. How do I access this directory please and what is the advantage of SFTP? Can I move the files back to the public_html directory? Thanks for looking[/i]
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I've never heard of "Special" FTP before; SFTP normally stands for "SSH" FTP, and SSH stands for "secure shell".

How do I access this directory please and what is the advantage of SFTP?
    Can you reset the password on the FTP account and then connect with it?

Can I move the files back to the public_html directory?
    Probably not, unless your host reconfigures the server to allow it.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by xlcr
    I find that the files are now in a Special FTP account with the path /home2/mysite.
    What do you mean by "Special"?
    Are you just saying "Special" because they are only available via a different login than your normal login?
    "Core FTP" supports 'SFTP', Maybe your hosting site has these files only available via this "Special" account via a SSH connection.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo