1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Macromedia FTP HomeSite ssh secureCRT

Hi all,

Well, pretty frustrated here on what I thought would be a simple task.

I am currently using homesite to edit a project, and I wish to homesite to connect to a web server via ssh. My application that I am using for forwarding is secureCRT. I wish to set it so that when I use FTP (through the Macromedia FTP client that is installed on my machine) that service is routed through the ssh tunnell created by secureCRT on my client to the ssh port on the server.

Is anyone using this exact setup? If so I would be glad to post all of my settings and see what the heck I'm missing.

blech.

thanks!
    "I'm between quotes right now"
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

No Although if you're using SecureCRT why not use SecureFX to FTP. I've never liked the idea of having by *editor* also handle *ftp* or to generate server-side code for me for that matter If you install SecureFX you'll find no problems in doing your FTP, or I guess you could much around for ages with Macromedia and Homesite - your call

Awesome, Z.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Zitan,

Well, I do use secureFX to move from dev to production, but I'm lazy and love to save-->refresh to make sure my guesses work when developing.

I did set Dreamweaver and Homesite up to work via an ssh tunnel to my outside work hosting company, but alas, it doesn't work here - no doubt simply different settings.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. We're about to solidify some policies here regarding connecting, thank goodness, so I want to make sure I can push for what I feel is a solid solution.

thanks.
  7. Z ɣ

what does ssh stand for?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Here's a random result from a search on google:
    http://www.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/...sh_primer.html

and one that is not so random

http://www.openssh.com/

Basically it's a more secure way to connect remotely to machine than telnet.

Tons of info within the DevShed forums, just use search.

If you're on a *nix box, you probably have ssh running (OS X also). So you could connect to another machine as follows:
    ssh some.machine.com -l yourusernameHere
    if they are running it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo