1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do I move files to new location?

Hello all,

I am really new to all of this--so please bear with me and let me try to explain what I am trying to accomplish.

I am trying to find a way to transfer files from one domain to another domain.

I went to the SMF forum for help and was told this:

"move your files to the new location and then run What is repair_settings.php? to reset your paths."

Well, that might seem easy to him , but how do I move my files to a new location?

I downloaded Filezilla, but do I need to install the server, too?

I was also told to do this:

"you need to use ftp to move the files from one location to the other, you can initially save the repair_settings.php file to anywhere but it needs to be uploaded to your server to the same folder that settings.php is located in. the root directory for smf is the folder that settings.php is located in."

That is why I installed Filezilla--- but I have no idea how to move the files from one domain to another domain?

And do I need to install the Filezilla server?

Thank you for any help or insight.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You don't need to install filezilla server. With the filezilla client you need to first transfer all of the files from your old server to your local hard drive. Then you need to transfer those files from your local hard drive to the new server.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    You don't need to install filezilla server. With the filezilla client you need to first transfer all of the files from your old server to your local hard drive. Then you need to transfer those files from your local hard drive to the new server.
    Ok, thanks! But I need more help.

My old files are located with my host, Bluehost. I think the files are there. I am not changing host servers.
    So, if my files are with Bluehost-- I transfer those files to the hard drive, right? And then I transfer from the hard drive to Filezilla? And then back to SMF ? Does that make sense?
  7. They're coming to take me away

Use filezilla to log in to first domain. Download all files/folders to your local hard drive. Then use filezilla to upload those same files to second domain.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo