1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy How to (keep) open a program on FTP , using SSH?

The FTP hoster i use allow SSH , in fact it have it own SSH Console... I tried using putty it fails to lunch :S.. Anyway i was wondering how to open and keep a program opended (if possible) using SSH.
    The SSH console is very annoying sometimes.. like when i was trying to install pico/nano .. it gave me this error ... -bash : ./configure command not found .. :S even thru i was on right location :S
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

First, it is against the terms of service of every shared host that I know of to run a persistent program on the server. And second, it is against the terms of service of most shared hosts to install programs on the server.

On Linux you can run a program in the background by appending & to the end of the command. Like: "ls &".

You can also use the "screen" utility, if it is installed, to simulate running a program in the foreground while actually running it in the background.

Some programs also have built in support for a daemon mode. For these programs, you just pass them a particular flag on the command line and then they will start up in the background.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo