Thread: Restrict Access

1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Restrict Access

Hi,
    I have FTP server configured with different permissions for folders depends on their usage.
    I have 4 subdirectories under root directory.
    For example Root directory is "Home" and sub directories are sub1, ..., sub4.
    Through ftp://ipaddress/ then user name & password, user will reach the main directory and they can access sub folders.

One selected user (alex) can access sub1 & sub2 folders, whereas he should not access sub3 & sub4.
    This alex user is not a domain user, he is local user of ftp server, has administrator rights.
    Is it possible to restrict that person from accessing those folders through FTP.

Thanks,
    Mani
  3. No Profile Picture

There are two ways to control this :

1) Program your client application to handle this, this method is not recommended but is possible.

2) Configure this on the server. How? you need to look up your server documentation for this. Look into using JSCAPE Secure FTP Server, it allows user virtual paths to be defined conveniently for FTP users.
  5. Contributing User

Hi,
    I configured windows FTP, im not using 3rd party FTP server.
    kindly advice on windows FTP to achieve my requirement.
    If possible post some free ftp server if available.
  7. Contributing User

I given power user rights to that user instead of administrator. Now NTFS permissions are applied properly and i can able to restrict that user however i want.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo