1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

setting up ftp server for dumb asses...me:)

OK,

Here is what I want to do. how do I setup an ftp server on a computer that is behind a Netgear router?? I have no damn clue on how to set this up. I dont want to setup a seperate linux pc either. The poblem is that the pc gets a 192.168.0.X ip address from the built in DHCP server on the router. I have a cable modem. Can I set it up so I can connect to it accross the internet?? Ftps are not my area of expertise, I never had a need for them. Now that I joined the ARMY I need access to the software from home. Can someone explaine to me how to do this???

Thanks
  3. Retired Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This shouldn't be too difficult to do. Firstly, you need to install FTP server software on the computer. Just search Google for something like "freeware FTP server" (if you don't want to pay) and you'll find a few - this doesn't look like a bad place to start: http://janim.net/web-freeware/free-ftp-servers.php.

Then you want to give your computer a static IP address on the local network. You can either do this manually (making sure you don't assign an IP address which can be used by the DHCP server) or you may be able to set a permanent lease on the router so that your computer always gets given the same IP address.

Then open port 21, forward to your internal IP and you should be done.

Comments on this post

• Veamon agrees : What he said.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo