1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Thought this would be simple

I am trying to set up a simple FTP server because I have some surveillance cameras that only record to an FTP site according to the manufacturer even though that is not a listed feature/drawback.

I run Windows 8.1 Pro and I have installed FileZilla server. I have set up a group, set up a user, and put that user into the group.
    I have registered with NoIP to get a hostname.
    I have went into the router of my ISP (TimeWarner) and set port 21 to forward. It has an option for external and internal, so i set them both.
    I ran PortForward Network Utilities to make sure my ports were open and they TCP and UDP test came back as opened.
    I ran FileZilla Client on another PC and cannot connect. I tried externally as well and cannot connect.

I have never attempted to set up and FTP server myself, I have just used them so I am a n00b, have mercy.
  3. Headless Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't know about this PortForward Network Utilities but it's something you download and run locally. Try an online service like this or this (they being the first two search results I got).
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks, I will give it a shot when I get home.
  7. No Profile Picture

This showed my port as closed. But on my router I have it set to forward.
    Image: tinypic.com/r/2z5iq9z/8
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

you need to set the START port at port 20 and END port at 21, as FTP needs both ports open. It uses port 21 as the control connection and port 20 for the data transfer connection.
    Also, FTP only needs TCP allowed [not UDP or BOTH]

One more thing, your router may not be able to do "loopback" connections, so, you may need to connect from another location outside of your house/network to test it [or possibly from a smartphone/tablet using mobile data connection, not wifi]. Or use your internal IP(192.168.0.104) to connect to FTP server while inside your own network/LAN.
    Last edited by DonR; April 1st, 2015 at 10:52 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo