1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Trying to make ftp use easy for my clients

I have an ftp site and I'd like to give clients an "APP" they can run from their PC. Basically I want them to click on this app or link from my website, get prompted to enter their name, phone #, and comments, then browse to their files and click submit to send an email to me and send the files to my ftp site. So can someone tell me what I'm looking for? Telling my client how to get to my ftp site is a real time vampire and just doesn't promote a polished professional image... Thanks for any replies~
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You know Windows (and I'm sure Linux and Mac) have built-in FTP access with a very simple interface?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    You know Windows (and I'm sure Linux and Mac) have built-in FTP access with a very simple interface?
    Yeah, I know but I'm looking for a candy-coated software solution so a client can come to my website, click a button, enter a name, phone number and comments and then click an add files button, browse to the files, and click place an order. Many of my clients just want to send an order and not bother with navigating thru windows explorer, etc, etc.
  7. Transforming Moderator

Then what you're looking for is a website. Specifically, some page(s) on a website to do this. That's a whole different can of worms besides FTP.

But originally you talked about an application; something the client would have to download and run. Which of those would you prefer? Next step is to figure out what your options are in terms of making/otherwise acquiring those things.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Then what you're looking for is a website. Specifically, some page(s) on a website to do this. That's a whole different can of worms besides FTP.

But originally you talked about an application; something the client would have to download and run. Which of those would you prefer? Next step is to figure out what your options are in terms of making/otherwise acquiring those things.
    I'd have to go with the website solution first... So what the heck am I asking for? We have a website but the ftp link is pretty much a brick wall for most of our clients. TNX!
  11. Transforming Moderator

If your users can't figure out how to use a website then I'm afraid you've got some rather large problems to deal with.

A webpage for this would be pretty easy.
    - Needs some kind of database to track who is allowed to access this upload thing. Variety of solutions.
    - One page for the form.
    - Form really, really needs to validate the file being uploaded. Can't just assume your trusted users will upload trusted files.
    - Stick the good files on FTP and fire off a notification email.

Find a suitable place on your site. A place the clients can find if they forget the link. Then get whoever manages the site to add this functionality... and if that's you then what kind of technologies (language, database, etc.) are you using for it?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo