1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unable to connect to FTP

I am having a really weird problem. I am currently working on a website using a testing server. I finally need to apply my changes to the live site. When I try to connect to the dedicated server via FTP I am getting an error saying "Access Denied, Check you server configuration, this may be a permission problem, file may not exist."

To narrow down the problem, the file does of course exist, the username and password I am using is correct and my boss is able to connect through his computer using the same login credentials as myself. I tried connecting to FTP using dreamweaver, IE, and Firefox, with no success.

When I tried to connect to another one of my boss's sites via FTP located a non-dedicated server a few weeks ago, I was able to connect fine using IE.

I contacted godaddy which is hosting our site, and they said it is a 'local' machine issue. I double checked and nothing is blocking FTP, and it is not a firewall problem. No other computer can connect except my boss's computer.

With dreamweaver I am able to access the remote server, download files, but not modify, upload new files or delete files from the dedicated server. That is when I get the error noted above.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If the computer hosting the FTP server is running Windows Server, try editing the NTFS permissions of the folder locating the file and temporarily give "everyone" read access. Try again, if it works you know it's an NTFS permissions issue and you can resolve it from there.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by matthayzon
    I am having a really weird problem. I am currently working on a website using a testing server. I finally need to apply my changes to the live site. When I try to connect to the dedicated server via FTP I am getting an error saying "Access Denied, Check you server configuration, this may be a permission problem, file may not exist."

To narrow down the problem, the file does of course exist, the username and password I am using is correct and my boss is able to connect through his computer using the same login credentials as myself. I tried connecting to FTP using dreamweaver, IE, and Firefox, with no success.

When I tried to connect to another one of my boss's sites via FTP located a non-dedicated server a few weeks ago, I was able to connect fine using IE.

I contacted godaddy which is hosting our site, and they said it is a 'local' machine issue. I double checked and nothing is blocking FTP, and it is not a firewall problem. No other computer can connect except my boss's computer.

With dreamweaver I am able to access the remote server, download files, but not modify, upload new files or delete files from the dedicated server. That is when I get the error noted above.
    I would recommend you to use FTP tools to connect and you can download Filezilla, FREE and easy to use. good luck

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo