1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Upload frustration

I'd be grateful for any advice. I'm currently using WS_FTP Pro 12.

I have two websites, and I haven't been able to connect to them and update them for several months now because the remote (right side) window in my FTP Pro will not function.

I'm doing everything correctly, unlocking my web site, creating a connection with site name, FTP protocol, username and password, but every time I try to connect I get "Connect Fail" and/or that annoying little "uh-uh" sound.

I've been in contact with my web hosts, and they say the problem is not at their end.

This is driving me up the wall. I have never previously had any problems with WS_FTP Pro, I've been using it for several years now.

Can anyone help?

Thank you,

David
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

What OS are you running? Have you tried a different FTP program to rule out an issue with the program you're using? I think you can also try to telnet to your FTP server using port 21 to see if it even connects.
  5. No Profile Picture

Question

Seack79,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm proficient with IT, but not an expert. What is OS and how do I attempt a Telnet connection?

I have windows 7 on my home pc.

Thanks,

David
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi David, OS would be "Operating System"; in your case Windows 7. To telnet into a machine do the following:

1. Open command promprt....start>cmd.exe
    2. type Telnet and hit enter
    3. type "open 1.2.3.4 21", where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of the server you're trying to reach.

If you get a conneciton closed/refused then port 21 isn't open. If it goes to a blank looking black screen then it probably connected fine. Also, you can try a different FTP program such as Filezilla.
    Last edited by seack79; November 24th, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seack79
    Hi David, OS would be "Operating System", in you case you said Windows 7. To telnet to a machine do the following:

1. Open command promprt by click start>cmd.exe
    2. type Telnet and hit enter
    3. type "open 1.2.3.4:21", where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of the server you're trying to reach.

If you get a conneciton closed/refused then port 21 isn't open. If it goes to a blank looking black screen then it connected fine. Also, you can try a different FTP program such as Filezilla.
    Seack79,

Thanks for your help. I should have remembered the OS one!

David
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No problem David. I edited my post above, my syntax originally was incorrect. To telnet to the machine type open "1.2.3.4 21"; not "1.2.3.4:21".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo