1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Video sttreaming/watching over on ftp server?

hi, im sorry if this has already been addressed, i was just wandering if i tis possible to set up a ftp server to have video streaming/ or viewing, i have a ftp server i have setup on my win 7 ult machine and already have it broadcasting over the internet, and have a bunch of movies on it and was wandering if its possible to just watch them off the server instead of having to download them then watch them, or would that fall under another web based protocal?

thank you for any help
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Theoretically it's possible, but you would need a video player capable of streaming videos over FTP. HTTP is much more widely supported by players.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Theoretically it's possible, but you would need a video player capable of streaming videos over FTP. HTTP is much more widely supported by players.
    i know it's possible or at least i've sen a lot of people claiming that they can, with the program Mpcstar (a universal media player, which i have) but have no clue on howto set up for streaming over my home network let alone how to set it up to stream over the internet and on a ftp server, but i figure that the easiest way to do hat i want i o just set t up over http and just embed the videos into the site via html, it'd be more time extensive but it'd probably work best
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It depends on the player. I've never used the one you mention, but if it supports FTP then how to use it should be documented in the player's documentation. I would assume that you have to enter the host name, username, password and file path of the FTP server and media file into the player, and then it will connect and download the media file. It would be the same if you were connecting to it over the internet.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo