1. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia

ftp, showing all ascii codes

Hello there, recently I have faced little problem with accessing some folder from freebsd's ftp client. Assume I connect to ftp 'ftp -a 12.34.56.78' and then either ls or dir there, but some of folder have ascii chars in it, which aren't in english alphavet. I can see them, though, in windows clients, but if I try to cd from bsd's ftp I get 'wrong path' sort of thing, because I do not have some of those chars correctly. So how do I make it show the ascii code rather then char? [tab] doesn't work in most cases, since there can be special char in the beginning...
    And you know I mean that.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Double-quote the directory name.
  5. Mobbing Gangster

thanks, freebsd, I would but the problem is that I do not see the directory's name when it begins with any special char.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When you can't see the dir name, just ls, then copy that dir name and double-quote that name. If copy is not possible, use wildcard.
  9. Mobbing Gangster

k, I know how to use ls alright but I cannot see the dir's name. Here, I probably dont explain too good. Try to connect to 206.20.234.50 and access that one dir with long name (now 'aux ' although I cannot access it either because it got special chars in name, and not 'dir')
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> now 'aux ' although I cannot access it either

Because many FTP servers on Windows are broken. They should have returned 550 Access denied instead. They should filter dir name like aux, com1 or the like that should not be accessible by FTP client. It's not a problem with ASCII chars at all.
  13. Mobbing Gangster

It is in the way this aux is done, which is not just 'aux', but aux with particular ascii code added to the end so it is not accessable unless you know the code. Sort of fool proof protection, which is used to tag dirs, but that is more of ftp 'games' I play to create 'protected' dirs rather then ftp client problem, so I was wondering if it is possible to pass that 'protection' without knowing the code.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo