1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry FTP installation woes

Hello everyone. Well, as the subject states, i'm having a bugger of a time trying to install FreeBSD 4.5 via FTP. First, let me give some background.

Computer to be installed upon:
    P166
    80megs RAM
    2.5 Gig Drive
    Old IBM Aptiva
    Linksys 10/100 Etherfast Lan Card--->Model no. LNE100TX

I'm connected to the internet via Cable modem.

The computer has a blank, formatted hard drive. I have the formatted floppies. I boot to the floppies no problem and run the sysinstall to setup my slices and partitions. Then I choose which type of packages I would like to install.

After that, I decide which type of media I want to install from. Since i'm not behind a firewall, I choose install via FTP. I then enter the url to connect to, ftp://ftp.freebsd.org. I'm then prompted if I want to configure the NIC card for IPV6. I click NO.

I'm then prompted to search for DHCP. I select yes. This is where it gets hectic. After I choose yes for DHCP, it then searches for the DHCP server and results in not finding anything. The next screen shows me fields I need to enter. These include:

hostname
    domain
    IPV4 Gateway
    DNS servers (i assume)
    IP address
    Subnet mask

None of these are filled in when I select to use DHCP. So, I tried to manually enter the information. I did an IPCONFIG /all from my Win2k Box (its in the process of being gone..at soon as I get this FreeBSD box up) I then copy the necessary information.

Then I fill in the information and click ok. It then says its searching for the FTP server and just sits there forever.

Does anyone have any idea what could possibly go wrong? I'm about to pull out my hair.

I've switched NICS, spots where NIC is installed. The cable is good because im using it right now.

IF anyone has any help to resolve this issue, I will indeed be greatful.

Thanks everyone.

Tarballed.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1) Do you have static IP?
    2) If you believe the nameserver you specified is not responding, then use 62.243.72.50 (the IP of ftp.freebsd.org) instead.

>> The cable is good because im using it right now

Then why don't you find your prefer FTP address or mirror one?

BTW you still haven't go really far, so just abort and run /stand/sysinstall again and reselect the media type and try it again. When you get to select FTP type, use Active mode, don't use passive, since this could be a possible problem.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hello again

1) Do you have static IP?

Currently have a Dynamic IP.

Then why don't you find your prefer FTP address or mirror one?

Do you have any recommendations?

I will try next time to select active for the install.

Thanks for your post. I'm off to try again.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe it's not even FTP transfer-mode problem (active/passive) since you can't even connect at all.
    What I'd do is to power off the modem, wait couple minutes and power it back on and try again, of course, with DHCP -> Yes.
  9. No Profile Picture

freebsd,

Your the man. It WORKED! For some reason, it worked when I unplugged the modem! Thanks a ton man.

T

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo