1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Remote Writing to FTP Server

Hi,

I'm having a problem writing files to my ftp server.
    I have a NAS device, on which I have configured an FTP server.
    I've added a rule to my firewall to direct incoming traffic on port 20/21 to the address of my nas ftp server (192.168.0.5).
    I have created an account on the ftp server with both read and write access.

Now, when I connect to the ftp server on my local machine, I can read and write without any problems.
    However, when I connect from work, with the same account, I am unable to write files, although I can read them.

I can simulate the problem at home by connecting to my work's VPN, in which case I again cannot write files, only read them.
    I always get a "550 Access is denied" error when trying to upload.

I have tried turning off Windows Firewall but no difference.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Black_Knight
    Hi,

I'm having a problem writing files to my ftp server.
    I have a NAS device, on which I have configured an FTP server.
    I've added a rule to my firewall to direct incoming traffic on port 20/21 to the address of my nas ftp server (192.168.0.5).
    I have created an account on the ftp server with both read and write access.

Now, when I connect to the ftp server on my local machine, I can read and write without any problems.
    However, when I connect from work, with the same account, I am unable to write files, although I can read them.

I can simulate the problem at home by connecting to my work's VPN, in which case I again cannot write files, only read them.
    I always get a "550 Access is denied" error when trying to upload.

I have tried turning off Windows Firewall but no difference.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    Thanks

UPDATE:
    I had only been trying to upload from work. When I got a friend to try upload from home, everything worked fine.
    So I guess my work's firewall was doing something with outbound ftp traffic.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo