Thread: Ftp Question

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ftp Question

I have a spare computer tower that I am looking into turning into a FTP server/game hosting and what not. If I just use it as a straight FTP server for myself to access my data when ever i need it, I know how to set it up and have read enough to understand all the things it takes to set it up except for one question.

I want to make this FTP server sleep or hibernate when its not being used. In otherwords be dormant until its being used by me. In the interest of saving on my electrical bills and what not. I am just wondering if it is possible and able to be utilized fully.

IF there is any way to do this it would be a big help to know how its done. I think there is a way to schedule when your computer is hibernating or sleeping and when its awake that could be an option but I would much prefer it to be hibernating or sleeping all the time until used. Like i said I am not sure if its possible.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

No, you cannot do this.

As a direct answer to your question: It is not possible to have ftp server that is hibernating.

When I see your question I'd think that you dont have much experience in the field of IT.

FTP server is rather speciffic internet service. I believe it will be best if you explain in more details what actions you want to acomplish by using it ...described in human sense. I will tell you if ftp service (at all) is the right option for you.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo