1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well, my FTP doesn't work!

I'm brand-new to FTP, so forgive me for my n00bish ways. I've set up an ftp server with the static IP address of stickindustries.serveftp.com through No-IP.org and the Serv-U ftp setup program. All is working according to Serv-U, but I couldn't connect to my server through my ftp client or other remote terminals. So I did an ftp connection test online and got these results:

* About to connect() to stickindustries.serveftp.com port 21
    * Trying 24.10.183.214... connected
    * Connected to stickindustries.serveftp.com (24.10.183.214) port 21
    * FTP response reading failed
    * Closing connection #0

Apparently it could connect, but the server didn't respond...?

Any suggestions?
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Some quick port scanning shows there's nothing running at stickindustries.serveftp.com aka 24.10.183.214 aka somewhere on hsd1.ut.comcast.net.

That means no FTP.

Are you sure there's supposed to be something there? Is that your IP address? Is your firewall/router/etc set up properly?
  5. No Profile Picture

Is that what the ftp server test is saying is my IP address?

My only firewall is windows firewall, and it has permissions open for all ftp-related applications. I've followed all the steps to set one up that I could find, but it seems nothing else could connect to it outside of the ftp program.

Any suggestions? What do you think the problem could be?
  7. Transforming Moderator

Originally Posted by Gatleos
    Is that what the ftp server test is saying is my IP address?
    stickindustries.serveftp.com resolves to the IP address 24.10.183.214, which itself is the IP address of a place located under hsd1.ut.comcast.net in Provo, UT.
    serveftp.com has a completely different IP address from Reno, NV.

So I'm wondering: is that your IP address? You can visit WhatIsMyIP.com to see.
  9. No Profile Picture

Well, according to that site, it is. Is this a separate address from my computer's specific IP? The kind that starts with 192? Either way, that IP is correct for something. Also, does it matter where the static IP is located, i.e. Reno, NV?
  11. Transforming Moderator

Alrght, I thought this was the case.

You want to set up an FTP server to be "located" at stickindustries.serveftp.com. serveftp.com is one of those domains where you can have a subdomain point wherever you want - when you signed up you had them point "stickindustries" to your computer.

But not really to your computer. Your computer is connected to something, which is connected to something, etc. which is connected to the Internet. One of those "somethings" has an IP address of 24.10.183.214. Generally that's enough to locate your computer specifically, but the Internet can't go any farther than that "something".

If you want to set up an FTP server on your machine you need
    1. An FTP server installed and running all the time
    2. To configure your firewall to allow inbound traffic on the FTP port. Most of the time this gets handled without you needing to do any work
    3. To configure your router/modem to allow people to access your computer. If I go to 24.10.183.214:21 I get nothing - because the router isn't set up to allow FTP access. You need to forward a port from the router:21 to your 192.168.* address:21.

Is this a separate address from my computer's specific IP?
    Your computer has only one IP address: 192.168.X.Y.
    Your router has two IP addresses: an internal address (192.168.X.1 most likely) and an external address (24.10.183.214). The internal one identifies the router to your computer; the external one identifies the router to the rest of the Internet.

Also, does it matter where the static IP is located, i.e. Reno, NV?
    No.
  13. No Profile Picture

So my router's external IP address is the one being connected to, but the server can't communicate with my computer from there. I need to forward my computer's port (this isn't the computer connected to the router, but I assume I should do it from here), so it can communicate. I've tried port forwarding before, and it's a massive headache. I'll go ahead and try anyway, but if you have any suggestions... feel free to make them known.
  15. No Profile Picture

Alright, I went through portforward.com and followed their guide. I set a static IP address for my computer, logged on to my router and forwarded the port I'm using (21). According to portforward.com's port checker tool, it's open. Should I be able to connect to the ftp server now? Also, if an external application trying to connect to this ftp server asks for the IP address, do I give my computer's IP, my router's external IP (to forward it to mine), or stickindustries.serveftp.com?
  17. Transforming Moderator

If you have an FTP server running on your computer then yes, it should work. If not then it's probably an issue with your firewall.

You should point people to your router's external address which, as it so happens, is also what stickindustries.serveftp.com is set up to give (assuming that's still correct).
  19. No Profile Picture

...apparently, my port isn't forwarded anymore. I didn't change any of the settings, but the port checker says it can't connect.

EDIT: It only connects if I use the UDP protocol, not TCP.
  21. No Profile Picture

Okay, I'm pretty sure now that the ftp server is running, the port is forwarded, etc. However, I still can't connect from my other computer, so it might be something wrong on that end. Here's what I'm connecting with:
    I'm using the Filezilla ftp client, and trying to connect to the server I already set up on the other computer. There are four settings: host, username, password, and port. I set the host as stickindustries.serveftp.com, the user name and password as the ones I set up in the ftp server settings, and the port as 21.

When I use these settings, the client says "connecting to 24.10.183.214:21", so I guess it can at least find the server. But then it says "Connection refused by server". The strange part is that it doesn't even get that far when I try to connect from the computer running the server. It just times out. Whaddaya think?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo