Thread: FTP SSL Query

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FTP SSL Query

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm developing a website that has a file upload feature and I'm a little confused about the whole FTP SSL side of things.

I have an SSL for the website which is being hosted by funnily enough a hosting company, and I also have an FTP server that is sitting in our office (external to the website). What I basically want is to be able to send files via FTP SSL from the website to our FTP server. Now...
    • Do I need a separate certificate on our FTP server to authenticate that the file is coming from the website?
    • Or... Can I use the SSL certificate that covers the website for this?
    • If I can use the SSL certificate that covers the website, how do I set this up on the FTP Server?

I'm using FileZilla's FTP Server (v.0.9.36 beta)

Thanks in advance all - I'm really struggling to get my head around this concept.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This page on their Wiki explains how to set up FTPS.

You will need a separate SSL certificate, unless your existing certificate covers multiple host names or your FTP server is running on the same host name as your website.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks E-Oreo.

Just to make sure I understand this a bit better. In basic terms, I create a certificate on the FTP server, then on the website, I can test the validitaty of the FTP server certificate (in the code behind) and if it passes validation then I can start the file transfer (which would be over SSL/TLS). I'm a even close?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo