1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need to change password on ftp account

I am new to website management and learning as I go (on the job) subsidiary to my main responsibilities. I understand this is a very basic question so I apologize for asking it. How do I change the password on the ftp account so the old webmaster can no longer access the site? I am using FireFTP. Do I need to change the login as well? thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This is a change you make from the server, not from your ftp client. You should contact your web host and ask them this question, as the procedure varies from host to host. Most provide some sort of custom web based control panel that allow you to do this.

If you run your own server, I'm sorry to say but you're in way over your head. You need to determine what type of ftp server you have and what authentication method it uses in order to determine how to change the password.

The ftp protocol doesn't have a built in standard for password changes.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    This is a change you make from the server, not from your ftp client. You should contact your web host and ask them this question, as the procedure varies from host to host. Most provide some sort of custom web based control panel that allow you to do this.

If you run your own server, I'm sorry to say but you're in way over your head. You need to determine what type of ftp server you have and what authentication method it uses in order to determine how to change the password.

The ftp protocol doesn't have a built in standard for password changes.
    Thank you, Obi Wan. I do not run my own server and I would think that fact is made apparent by the first two sentences of my query. I asked our web host about it first and was told it was something that could be changed on my side. I guess I need to ask again, perhaps with more humility, so as to be enlightened.
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by G33kGirL
    Thank you, Obi Wan. I do not run my own server and I would think that fact is made apparent by the first two sentences of my query. I asked our web host about it first and was told it was something that could be changed on my side. I guess I need to ask again, perhaps with more humility, so as to be enlightened.
    By them saying it could be changed on your side, they are referring to your web host control panel. You need to log in there to change the passwords.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture

Login to your cpanel you can change it from there

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo